• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

How old are you?

• Total voters

ri23

OSU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I was just reading another thread talking about the average age of those going to vet school next year and I just thought I'd start a poll.

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
this poll makes me feel old- 3 year chunks wouldn't be soooo bad, but scrolling alllll the way down past the rest of the 20's just felt... wrong.

can I go back and lie? I'm 18, really.

About the Ads

ri23

OSU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
sorry, apparantly I didn't do a good job on the number distribution :oops:

mistifical

VMRCVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
MD/VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Has everyone who has responded applied to and/or been accepted to vet school yet? If not, at what age do you anticipate you will be when you enter vet school?

I am 22 now, if I am accepted this year, I will have my 23rd birthday within the first few weeks of school. If not, I guess (hope) I'll be starting at 24 or even 25.

su_grad2007

Texas A&M 2015
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I'm 25 and this is my first time applying, I haven't been accepted yet and I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools

ramaloma

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'm 24 and I hope this is my one and only time applying. I've got an interview from MSU and I'm waiting on UPenn.

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status (Visible)
At the rate I'm going NZ will deport me before I get in....

ri23- don't worry about the distro- it'd just make lazy (not so very) old people like me happier if we could pretend that everyone in the under 20-22 range was... 22. But then, anyone who's 22 and getting into vet school probably hasn't had time for much but school. Dang, those 8 slacker years were nice. like retirement, only while you're still young enough to enjoy it.

-sleepy and procrastinating-
j.

ZoeyBay

10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
25 here and hopefully getting in this year (my first time applying)...

MissBehavior

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Arizona
Status (Visible)
Dang, those 8 slacker years were nice. like retirement, only while you're still young enough to enjoy it.
j.

That's a great way to look at it! I had about 8 slacker years too...got a lot of "life experience" out of them.;)

I'll be 29 when I apply for the first time, 30 when I start (assuming I get in on my first try). 30 is the *new 20* though, right?

PdxYOSHI

Oregon State 2011
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Oregon
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Kudos to "30 being the new 20". I'm 28 but will be 29 when I start my first year. Age ain't nothing but a number, right? Well, it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only older than average student out there.

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status (Visible)
wait- if 30's the new 20, does that mean that at 30 everyone does 3 more years of crazy drunken stupidness? 'cause I somehow think I'm over that....

j.

About the Ads

VelcroSky

U of MN Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
wait- if 30's the new 20, does that mean that at 30 everyone does 3 more years of crazy drunken stupidness? 'cause I somehow think I'm over that....

j.

Haha! Yeah, it wasn't fun being in the oldest category (I say that only because technically the 'other' category could include 15 year olds i.e. Doogie Howser, which probably only those in my category remember). But I really don't think I want to do the 20 year old things again. Once was enough!

wildfocus

DVM/PhD student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2006
Rocky Mountain High
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Haha! Yeah, it wasn't fun being in the oldest category (I say that only because technically the 'other' category could include 15 year olds i.e. Doogie Howser, which probably only those in my category remember). But I really don't think I want to do the 20 year old things again. Once was enough!

i loved doogie... 32, and it seems the same ever since 25 (just a little harder to get up after cutting nails on the floor). after so many years of good food and wine, i don't know how we are going to be able to live off of top ramen and cheap beer again. :laugh:

lazyjayn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
South Carolina
Status (Visible)
i don't know how we are going to be able to live off of top ramen and cheap beer again. :laugh:

Two buck chuck- about the same amount as cheap beer, now if only they had it here. And ramen isn't so bad. When you take the ramen out and put other stuff in instead.... tho I think, by the time I'm done, that I may be just about potato and stir-fried out. Creatively cheap is so much more fun than ramen. And when ya get tired of it, there's always canned beans, chips and salsa. I find I spend less on beer than my classmates- leaves me more food money.

j.

AuburnPreVet

AU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Podunk
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Auburn's class of 2011 will have an age range of 21-45 (at matriculation) according to the incoming freshmen seminar they held on Saturday.

Vet2be2012

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
2 months away to 25! Being I will have a 5 year program, I will be a vet at 30:(

TheDuck

Featherbrain
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'll be 24 when I start, assuming I get in :luck: and I'm also prolly going to a 5-year program, so I'll be 29. Woo-hoo!

pressmom

Third year!
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
What a great time to be 27! I'll be 31 when I graduate. :D

About the Ads

jnt179

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I am 22 and I am applying for the 08 matriculation. I will be 27 WHEN (not if) I graduate in 2012. (I am trying to stay very positive about this) I was just told today that 3 girls that attended the same undergrad program that I do just dropped out of their first year of vet school. Makes me a little nervous as to whether or not I can handle it.:oops:

TheDuck

Featherbrain
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I went to a vet clinic near me to ask about getting some experience there. The girl at the desk started laughing when I said I was going to be applying to vet school. That was a little disconcerting.

critterfixer

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2007
Tennessee
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
I went to a vet clinic near me to ask about getting some experience there. The girl at the desk started laughing when I said I was going to be applying to vet school. That was a little disconcerting.

First of all, how rude! But second, why did she think it was funny?

Animallvr5252

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I am 21 and just got into veterinary school class of 2011 (feels weird to type). My boyfriend makes me feel bad though because he will have his law degree before he turns 24!

eventualeventer

Medical Tire Fire
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I'm 19. I'm applying *this* fall, so maybe I shouldn't have voted and skewed the distribution, but it's too late now. :p I have a December birthday AND I went to college early. If I get in this coming cycle, I won't even be able to drink until the END of my first semester. :eek:

TheDuck

Featherbrain
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
First of all, how rude! But second, why did she think it was funny?

First of all, your dog is adorable.

Second of all, I'm not sure. At first, I thought it was because the surgeon was an dingus or something, but she said that she had wanted to go to vet school and I guess never did. She looked really young, so I'm assuming she didn't get in and gave up, which is a shame.

Oh, well; I'm not letting it bother me. The surgeon was a great guy and was really encouraging about applying.

critterfixer

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2007
Tennessee
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
Thanks, The Duck. We're really quite fond of her, funky endocrine system and all. And your pooch is really sweet looking, too.

cyrille104

10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
Why are there so many people under 22? Are there that many people not getting a bachelor's?

k9 <3er

UC Davis SVM c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal
Status (Visible)
I turned 21 in March and I'll receive my BS in June. A couple people in my class are 20 and are skipping their last year of undergrad.

ri23

OSU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I know a number of people that were able to graduate in 3 years because of AP credit. I knew that I could graduate in 3 years so I applied a year early, giving me a "safety net" year if I didn't get in.

CookieBear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
Yes, I graduated high school in three years as well.

Too bad I chickened out of pre-vet in my undergrad years. The original plan was that I'd be ahead a full year!

Now I'll be 31 this summer :p

At least I won't get that crap from clients who feel the need to ask the staff, "Is that really the doctor? [He/she] looks so young!"

My gray hairs will be my ally! Muahaha. :laugh: (cough/choke)

JumptheMoon

UPenn Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Why are there so many people under 22? Are there that many people not getting a bachelor's?

I was also under the impression that this wasn't a poll limited just to the people starting vet school this fall...so it probably includes some who haven't applied yet (correct me if I'm wrong). We are the PRE-veterinary forum, after all ;)

thesonofdarwin

UPenn 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I was also under the impression that this wasn't a poll limited just to the people starting vet school this fall...so it probably includes some who haven't applied yet (correct me if I'm wrong). We are the PRE-veterinary forum, after all ;)

That too :)

I started a year late because I changed my mind at the last minute on which college I wanted to go to, but it was too late by then. I graduated at 21 in 3 years, but I went took classes every summer. Semester 3... the toasty semester. I'm still waiting for one of those fun summers. The kind where I don't sit by the dock studying as the family is out on our boat or jet skiis. Getting a tan... except for the pale mark where my Ornithology book blocked out the sun.

Sleeping till noon, here I come!

ri23

OSU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student

When I started the poll the intent was that it would be for those attending vet school in the 2011 class. Many people may not have read that though, so I'm sure you're right about including people that haven't applied yet.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.