How old is too old

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aswang67

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not a physician; but have had some medical training as an Army Medic, Civilian EMT, and worked in an Army Path lab as a civilian Microbiology Technician (OJT). Anway I"m retied from the Federal Government since 2005. but was wondering, about going into medicine as a Forensic Pathologists?

Anyway, I was wondering just how old is too old to become a pathologists, and in the subspecialty of Forensic Pathology. I undrstand that the training is hard, and you only have a few years left of being able to contribute as a Forensic Pathologists.

So my question is this...Is a person who is 68 years of age too old to become a Pathologist? Or can they find some work related career that is in the Forensic Pathological field.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I was told, the doctor my mother use to work for was a P.A., and then in his early 40's went to med school. I think it's more of whether or not you want to commit this much time and money this late in your life.

I think 40 is pushing it for most people. 68 and you should find another career.

You could always work in a forensics lab and not be a doctor!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4 years of med school, 4 years of residency and 1 year fellowship.

Do you even have the pre-reqs? You have to take the MCAT. You’ll be at least 80 before you’re an attending. That seems..not worth it

Hi, I'm not a physician; but have had some medical training as an Army Medic, Civilian EMT, and worked in an Army Path lab as a civilian Microbiology Technician (OJT). Anway I"m retied from the Federal Government since 2005. but was wondering, about going into medicine as a Forensic Pathologists?

Anyway, I was wondering just how old is too old to become a pathologists, and in the subspecialty of Forensic Pathology. I undrstand that the training is hard, and you only have a few years left of being able to contribute as a Forensic Pathologists.

So my question is this...Is a person who is 68 years of age too old to become a Pathologist?

Thanks
Yes

At that age you shouldn’t have to eat the **** that medical students are forced to shovel down their throats.

Reactions: 5 users

So my question is this...Is a person who is 68 years of age too old to become a Pathologist? Or can they find some work related career that is in the Forensic Pathological field.

Thanks

Odds are you would need to take or re-take all the science classes needed for the MCAT. That would take a couple of years.
2 to 6 months of MCAT prep would be in order after that.
Have you recently shadowed a physician?
Volunteer activities?
If you live in a lucky state and everything goes perfectly you are looking at an investment of at least 3 years to put together an application.
The application cycle lasts a year. If you make it through medical school without a hitch, you be applying to pathology programs in about 8 years. With fellowship, you would be looking at starting as a forensic pathologist in a decade or so.

You should be aware, however that most folks who apply to medical school (at any age) are not accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
It's too old. You won't get in. You should enjoy your retirement.

Thanks
Are you 68 now or would you be 68 when you complete the training and are ready to work as a pathologist? (I have a colleague who completed his residency in his early 60s.)