How old were you when you started practicing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Buddhasmash

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 24 years old and just started my first year of undergrad. I'm pre-med, and the specialty I'm most interested in is neurosurgery. I know, I know, it's very early for me to be thinking about specialties. I get it. But I'm obsessive.

Anyways, one of the things I'm concerned about is my age. Even if everything goes perfectly according to plan, considering the length of schooling, I would be 39 years old before I could start practicing. I was wondering how abnormal this is.

So to the attendings out there: how old were you when you finally started practicing?
 
I've met my fair share of neurosurgeons from non-traditional backgrounds, like those who served in the army, one who practiced as a lawyer, another who spent nearly a decade as nurse...and they're all fantastic. I wouldn't let "experience" hold you back if neurosurgery is something that you really want to do.