How "ON" is Goljan???

Discussion in 'Step I' started by melvindo, Apr 21, 2004.

1. melvindo

melvindo OKLAHOMA NATIVE
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This question is for anybody who has used goljan stuff, audio or notes etc., and then taken the USMLE. How close was he to real thing? His teaching style rocks, but seems very different from other professors out there. He also seems to integrate big concepts into generalized ideas. His sample questions seem to reflect this same style of integration. He says this is what the boards test on a lot.
    Any experience, would be much appreciated, even second hand info.

Thanks

2. monet

monet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you using the 5 day lecture notes?

3. melvindo

melvindo OKLAHOMA NATIVE
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, The five day mp3s and the high yeild notes.

4. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The man knows his stuff, there is that. He is probably THE GUY, when it comes to USMLE board review, and he knows COMLEX upside-down also.

That said, he is a very manic personality, and sometimes hard to follow. He doesnt let us tape lecture, or we would probably all listen to it over again, to try and catch things we missed the first time. His material is right on, though, and he teaches pathology like it should be taught...for the boards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When did he stop allowing recording of his lectures? I recorded all of his lectures when I took pathology at OSU. There was no restriction at that time. Or are you referring only to a review course?

6. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Apparently someone two classes ahead of idio & me taped the lectures and sold them online. Now nobody can tape & we can't make copies of his notes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted

Attending Physician
    It has to do with Kaplan more than anything, I think. If you can buy course recordings, why would you pay $$$ for Kaplan live course? I'm sure that is part of the reasoning.

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, that would make it someone from my class. I would venture a guess as to who it was, but that would be slander.

9. DrMom

Attending Physician

Well, Goljan hasn't mentioned the name so I won't make you ;) (unless it was you!!) :laugh:

10. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Twasn't me. However I do have all of his lectures recorded on mini discs at home. One of my classmates even went so far as to scan the lecture notes onto his computer, cut and paste the pathology pictures from the school site, and put it all together on a CD for selected fellow classmates. I managed to get a copy, but have never even put it in my computer. He stated that he was going to try and have the recorded lectures on the CD as well in the appropriate sections, but I don't know if he ever got around to finishing his "project."

Dr Mom, will you being doing first, second or thrid core? OKC or Tulsa?

11. DrMom

Attending Physician
    Second core in Tulsa.

12. melvindo

melvindo OKLAHOMA NATIVE
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anybody esle? I know a lot of you are using Goljan stuff?

13. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i wish it were me, but i never went :cool: i thought the entire "my lectures are copyrighted" stuff was funny. i wonder if his boogers, pecs, and ego are trademarked as well . . . or his telling students they'll "never match" if they don't go to his class :rolleyes:

i think i know who you're talking about, and i think he was trying to get all goljan's stuff into a palm format. woulda been nifty had he finished it.

14. optiplex

optiplex Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys:

I was wondering. Did you feel that studying path from Dr. Goljan's material is going to be sufficient for the boards? I mean, people always say BRS Path...but I looked at Dr. Goljan's Path by stars and it was much more indepth and intergrated. I liked it alot...but I am not sure if that is a good idea... Any suggestions, inputs, comments?

15. giznut12

giznut12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish they would release his new book already. Does anyone know what the holdup is? I was planning on using it but I guess I'm not going to if the damn thing comes out the day before boards. :laugh:

16. DrMom

Attending Physician
    It has been released. I just talked to him about the book today, and some people posted a couple of days ago that they had ordered it already.

17. giznut12

giznut12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wonder Why it isn't on Amazon.com yet. ecampus has it for sale but said you wouldn't receive it until may 24th. That's wierd.

18. DrMom

Attending Physician
    Hmm. I don't know. Next time I see Goljan I'll ask him. Won't be tomorrow, but I can probably stop by his office on Thursday.

19. ktat72

ktat72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

goljan's lectures are actually the best in preparation for step 1

20. optiplex

optiplex Member
    7+ Year Member

just a quick Q...for those who used Dr. Goljan's material to study...how did you do on step 1?

21. DrSmiles

DrSmiles Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here is the latest scoop on the Rapid Review path book by Goljan. Backordered at ecampus, can't get it in until May 19th.
    You can order this book today for $32.95 directly from Mosby, and even have it expedited and get it tomorrow if you wish. Here is the link:
    http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com

22. unc12

unc12 Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got a copy from my bookstore. It looks pretty good.

23. HiddenTruth

HiddenTruth Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

is the rapid review book the same as his audio notes/lecture notes that people talk abt. please comment. Thanks.

HT

24. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted

Attending Physician
    He does a rather well-known "Pathology in 40 hours" deal for Kaplan, and I cant comment on that, but this book is identical to our lecture notes for Pathology at OSU. It is really an excellent book.