How personal of a personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How personal is too personal for the personal statement? I mean what are some no-no's as far as your personal life. I know I'm being vague but I'm still debating whether I should write about certain really personal things that I've experienced. It's the kind of thing you don't really go around telling people but has really played a role in my drive to be an MD. I don't know where I'm going with this. I want to say but I don't. I guess I will sometime. For now I'll ask, what kind of things are too personal?

Members don't see this ad.

a good rule of thumb is leave out anything that you would not or cannot talk about during your interview, unless the experience was pivotal to your decision to practice medicine, in which case you have to some choices to make.

I guess nothing is too personal. Its the chance for you to shine, if it made you want to become a doctor then write about it and show how. Don't just tell the story

if these things are the driving forces which motivate you to become a physician, you should talk about them. only the true motivations will help you write a good personal statement.

good luck.