How random/harsh can the application process be for int'/non-US students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend's friend was an international student at Harvard. She graduated last year and applied for 26 medical schools. She got only 5 interviews. Surprisingly, she got rejected from all of them post-interview. She decided to forget about medicine and now she goes to grad school.
What might have caused these rejections?
I don't know about her specific stats. But her GPA is likely to be decent because I heard that she made straight-A's in several semesters. She also said that she led an antisocial college life where she only lived in lecture hall and dorm (Perhaps this was what caused her downfall?) But she said all of her 5 interviews went great.
But again I don't know the specifics yet. Just assuming that GPA, MCAT and ECs were decent, does something like this happen often for non-US or international applicants? How common is this? I'm scared as a non-US (Canadian) student.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My friend's friend was an international student at Harvard. She graduated last year and applied for 26 medical schools. She got only 5 interviews. Surprisingly, she got rejected from all of them post-interview. She decided to forget about medicine and now she goes to grad school.
I don't know about her specific stats. But her GPA is likely to be decent because I heard that she made straight-A's in several semesters. She also said that she led an antisocial college life where she only lived in lecture hall and dorm (Perhaps this was what caused her downfall?) But she said all of her 5 interviews went great.
But again I don't know the specifics yet. Just assuming that GPA, MCAT and ECs were decent, does something like this happen often for non-US or international applicants? How common is this? I'm scared as a non-US (Canadian) student.

Well you said it right there. All she did was study. That's not not nearly enough. They interviewed her, so her international status was not an issue. Looks like she either had nothing beyond good grades and test scores and/or she sucked at interviewing. So... volunteer, research, extra curricular activities are all required... and make sure you interview well.

Ah...a thread I can relate to. I'm an international non-canadian student...and u're right it is kinda hard to get into a US med school...for instance most US schools dont even accept international sudents. But ya, I think your friend gave up a lil too easy on her dream (if that infact was her dream). Or maybe she just postponed it, idk...
Idk what may hav caused her rejections....maybe her lack of qaulity interviewin skills n lack of a complete package, cos as an internl student, you need a 'more complete' package that the average US student if you get what I mean.
To the OP: Dont be scared...its a scary process for everybody, moreso for non citizens.
I applied my junior yr to a ton of schools, w decent EC's and GPA...and barely above 30 Mcat. 2 interviews, 2 waitlists, n 2 rejections.
Applied this yr again w same stats (lol) to a ton of more schools early, and now i'm avoiding interview requests like bullets or something cos they are everywhere. I currently have like 5 acceptances out of 8 interviews in MD schools, and hav to keep turnin down interviews. Of course I tried carrib n grad school, and they all worked out, but thank God I decided to hold on for another year.
So it all depends, its a crazy process. But sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to make it. Or dont they teach that in Harvard? :D