How realistic would this be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

If you couldn't get into a med school in the US, how realistic/difficult would it be to move to another country and become a physician there? And stay there permanently?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine it would depend pretty substantially on the country in question -- Becoming a physician tends to be pretty competitive everywhere (except the Caribbean apparently) -- so unless you've got strong ties or there are schools that are substantially less stringent in return for substantially higher tuition, then I'd say likely not.

Reactions: 1 user
Might depend a lot on why you failed to get into a US school. My understanding is that some European countries base admissions almost entirely on standardized metrics. If you're that person with a 4.0 GPA 40+ MCAT and terrible robotic interviewing, you just might do great in admissions elsewhere.

Getting into medical school is not the issue. You can go to eastern Eu schools that teach in English, their requirements are less stringent. The problem is obtaining residency and language barriers you may encounter in other countries. The second part is outside the scope of this discussion because of complexity of immigration and such, some places have MD shortages and would love to have some more. I have a friend who settled in Eu after going to school there. However, they are learning a new language and getting married to an Eu citizen. Lifestyle and earning potential is very different depending on the country.