How religious is Campbell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielcraig20

Reaction score
I apologize if this belongs in the school-specific thread (it seems to mostly contain info about applying). I've seen a lot of stories about places like Loma Linda & LUCOM come up, but not much about Campbell despite its Christian affiliation. CUSOM's honor code is pretty brief and nothing stands out unlike w/ the other schools, but just wanted to check in with those who are more familiar with the institution.

I'm fine with going to an affiliated school but that depends on how much it's enforced with students (ie mandatory chapel). I'd appreciate any insight! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Religion was not brought up during my interview. I stated my religious affiliation in my secondary. Was Catholic growing up, now I am agnostic. Planning on attending Campbell next year if I don’t get into my state MD school.

In my opinion, you can imagine playing a game with different difficulty settings for religion.

Campbell you’re living in a Christian environment, but you’re not having religion shoved down your throat every second. This would be easy mode. Loma I’m just going to assign as medium ‘cause I didn’t interview there. LUCOM is unapologetically 100% Christian values and environment that you will not be able to get away from even if you’re not Christian. They don’t force it on you, but it’s around every corner and every faculty member I met was Christian. It also shows in their student hand book. LUCOM would be hardcore mode - you can’t (or shouldn’t) be seen drinking or partying in public. Extramarital sex? Good luck. LUCOM gets a lot of flak here on SDN, but they are also transparent on interview day. If you don’t want it, then don’t go. In the end though, they also make you a doctor

Reactions: 1 user
Religion was not brought up during my interview. I stated my religious affiliation in my secondary. Was Catholic growing up, now I am agnostic. Planning on attending Campbell next year if I don’t get into my state MD school.

In my opinion, you can imagine playing a game with different difficulty settings for religion.

Campbell you’re living in a Christian environment, but you’re not having religion shoved down your throat every second. This would be easy mode. Loma I’m just going to assign as medium ‘cause I didn’t interview there. LUCOM is unapologetically 100% Christian values and environment that you will not be able to get away from even if you’re not Christian. They don’t force it on you, but it’s around every corner and every faculty member I met was Christian. It also shows in their student hand book. LUCOM would be hardcore mode - you can’t (or shouldn’t) be seen drinking or partying in public. Extramarital sex? Good luck. LUCOM gets a lot of flak here on SDN, but they are also transparent on interview day. If you don’t want it, then don’t go. In the end though, they also make you a doctor

Very helpful comparison! I'm also mainly applying MD but including some DO. I like what I've found on this school so far.

I'm a middle eastern, atheist girl who grew up with no religion, and while I really don't care about the school's affiliations, I don't want to be super out of place & have religious stuff enforced the way it is at LUCOM. Their student handbook is definitely very strict. I'm also 22 so I'd rather drinking and extramarital sex not be grounds for discipline, ha. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users