How screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swordfish8080

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will be fine with those scores. Do well on your SubI and have your application ready to go when ERAS opens.

Reactions: 1 user
Dropped from a 250 step 1 to a 236 on step 2. Well below the national average for EM step 2, which I hear is more important than step 1 for EM regardless. Should I apply for a backup specialty as well? Thanks.
What's your %tile, the national average and standard deviation for Step 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
244 +\- 16

So I think that puts me at ~ 33rd %tile
It's just one test. Do well in your rotations and you'll likely be fine. I don't know the board scores of any of the docs I work with, refer to, or get referrals from. I only know if they're good clinical docs or not, and how they interact with people.

It's just one test. Do well in your rotations and you'll likely be fine. I don't know the board scores of any of the docs I work with, refer to, or get referrals from. I only know if they're good clinical docs or not, and how they interact with people.

Thank you. Really trying to stay positive these days as hard as it is.

Dropped from a 250 step 1 to a 236 on step 2. Well below the national average for EM step 2, which I hear is more important than step 1 for EM regardless. Should I apply for a backup specialty as well? Thanks.

Dude

I failed my step 2 and got into an Ivy league EM residency.

You can too.

If you like EM work at it and you will get in.

(But...just to be safe...you may want to consider a backup.)

Reactions: 5 users
Just relax and take a deep breath.

Just apply very broadly and you should be fine still.

250 and 236 step scores worrying about matching in EM? I must be getting old

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you. Really trying to stay positive these days as hard as it is.
Although it doesn't hurt to have a good Step 2 score, it doesn't help nearly as much as you think. The only "score" anyone seems to care about is the SPAAK score:

Satisfy Patient x Administrator's A$s Kiss score

No Step 2 score, now matter how high, can override a failing SPAAK score. But a high SPAAK has an often mind-blowing ability to override what you or I think should be clinically and academically important. Use this knowledge as you wish.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users