How should I address a low mcat score in an interview if asked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read numerous threads on SDN and asked a few people, but a lot of responses seem to set off red flags. Saying you're a bad standardized test is basically like saying "You're taking a huge risk on investing me in medical school because medical school and medicine ARE about standardized tests and the mcat is a fairly decent predictor of the step 1." (although n=1 and people do better on the step 1). Anyways my mcat scores, as if you haven't seen them enough are 9/11/9 (29) and 10/7/11 (28) and I'm thinking of highlighting the positive qualities of my circumstances. There are a lot of other things going on and that affected my performance, but that wouldn't be smart for me to mention. How would you suggest I explain it to ADCOMs when asked "why my mcat score is so low?" This is obviously long as hell because Im determined to take note of my experiences and analyze them, but how could I give a condensed interview answer?:

1) I didn't take physiology in undergrad, so most of the biosci section for me was self-study. It took me a little while to really understand physiology, as a whole, although I learned about it really well and found it enjoyable. I got the point where it really clicked and was able to map out of organ systems, how they interact with each other, and the complex neurotransmitters and hormones before my first exam and really enjoyed it.
2) Physics was my weakest subject in my undergrad (it's the only premed course I didn't get As and instead I got a B, C, and C) and I didn't have a good understanding of it when I took it, which is obviously my fault as well. My school taught physics with a constructive pedagogy and the majority of the class was discussion labs taught via the socratic method. In this case of physics, it was very ambiguous because there's so much detail and different levels of understanding in physics which threw me off, and in the case of E&M I couldn't visualize much of the material well. I got help understanding and worked in study groups, but nonetheless I didn't really understand it until I started studying for the mcat. When I started studying for the mcat I really started enjoying physics. The books broke the material well and the material was new to me. I developed the conceptual understanding needed, learned how the formulas applied to concepts, and most importantly I really enjoyed the subject because it's applicability.
3) I was doing volunteering, research, and for most of my first time studying for the mcat I was taking very intense upper division courses. The fact that I was able to balance the mcat at all is a testament to my work ethic.
4) The week I took the mcat I was sick with the swine flu and I was actually in the ER the monday before the exam because of a 103F. Nonetheless, even while I was sick I still pushed myself to study for the mcat and took it. Realistically, I'm not sure how much the swine flu affected my scores, although after the mcat I was going to go on a date and basically collapsed in bed right afterwards.
5) I retook two months later because I knew I could do better. I saw deficiencies in my study technique, such as over-reliance on flashcards and my firm grip on physics and biology allowed me to not invest so much time on flashcards and instead think my way through to problems. I used the time studying to really tighten my grasp over bio sci and physics, as well as refresh verbal, on top of 10 hrs a day volunteering and commuting 3 hrs to volunteer as a medical scribe.
6) I ended up sick again before taking the mcat the week before it.
7) The positive way of explaining my verbal score is that as a scientific student I mostly read humanities type articles for fun. When asked questions about them I try and apply all the information and outside context I have to interpret and understand them. In the case of potentially ambiguous verbal questions on the mcat that helped me and hurt me, which is part of the reason why I performed poorly on the second one.
8) I could have voided the mcat due to apprehension of my verbal score, but I was so invested in studying for the test and learning from my circumstances that I wanted to go through the process to the end and find out what I did wrong.

At the end, I'd also say something like: I know the mcat score has a correlation with and can be used to predict USLME scores, but who I am as a person and applicant goes beyond my mcat score. I am extremely determined which I why I pursued my education across 5 community colleges in my state, and even though I could't pursue premed courses I found a subject that challenged me (math) and mastered it. I also condensed 4 years of science courses into 2 years at a 4-year school and graduated with a good GPA. Furthermore, although the mcat does predict future test scores, it doesn't measure my compassion and empathy for others as a future or provide the context of who I am as an active member of my community through volunteering, research, and helping create a program to allow those who had dysfunctional home lives and were expelled from high school to receive the education they needed. This is why I'd like you to look beyond my mcat scores.

Thoughts? Comments? Anything? I'd appreciate constructive criticism and realism. I'm hesitant about saying the "i'm sick" even though it was true because it sounds like a bad excuse and obviously i'm not saying I'm bad at standardized tests.

Also, is it worth including any of this in secondaries? I'm thinking no, but I just finished prewriting all my secondaries, so if I could add anything else it'd be a great to know. Thank you for reading and replying :).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT score puts you in the top 2/3 of test takers, for one thing.

For another, if an interviewer asks you to explain your MCAT score, I think it would be a big mistake to launch into an explanation of how MCAT scores don't really matter. Your entire paragraph-long answer doesn't even attempt to answer the question posed to you.

That's a dirty politician trick, and an interviewer will probably see right through it and just get annoyed, or cut you off halfway through your explanation to ask the question again. Try to actually answer the questions asked.

But seriously, you are way way too hung up on your MCAT score. I don't know if it's because SDN has created unrealistic expectations or made you neurotic or what, but your MCAT score isn't that bad. The fact that you retook it and ended up with essentially the same score is probably going to jump out at the interviewer much more than the score itself. If I were interviewing you, I would ask "why did you get the same score when you retook the MCAT" or "why did you take the MCAT twice two months apart" and follow that up with "well then how come you didn't improve your score?"

I don't want to be mean or add to your neuroticism, but your list of explanations and excuses is tiring. None of it would reassure me. If I were you, and I were asked that question, I think I'd just say something like "It's obviously a very difficult and relentless test. I was disappointed with my score, because I don't think it accurately represents my ability to excel in difficult coursework and apply my knowledge and skills in the real world; I would hope that those qualities show up in the rest of my application. That said, I recognize that my score is in the top 60th, 70th percentile and while such a ranking is not where I'm used to being academically, I'm confident that I can excel in your program."

Reactions: 4 users

For another, if an interviewer asks you to explain your MCAT score, I think it would be a big mistake to launch into an explanation of how MCAT scores don't really matter. Your entire paragraph-long answer doesn't even attempt to answer the question posed to you.

That's a dirty politician trick, and an interviewer will probably see right through it and just get annoyed, or cut you off halfway through your explanation to ask the question again. Try to actually answer the questions asked.

But seriously, you are way way too hung up on your MCAT score. I don't know if it's because SDN has created unrealistic expectations or made you neurotic or what, but your MCAT score isn't that bad. The fact that you retook it and ended up with essentially the same score is probably going to jump out at the interviewer much more than the score itself. If I were interviewing you, I would ask "why did you get the same score when you retook the MCAT" or "why did you take the MCAT twice two months apart" and follow that up with "well then how come you didn't improve your score?"

I don't want to be mean or add to your neuroticism, but your list of explanations and excuses is tiring. None of it would reassure me. If I were you, and I were asked that question, I think I'd just say something like "It's obviously a very difficult and relentless test. I was disappointed with my score, because I don't think it accurately represents my ability to excel in difficult coursework and apply my knowledge and skills in the real world; I would hope that those qualities show up in the rest of my application. That said, I recognize that my score is in the top 60th, 70th percentile and while such a ranking is not where I'm used to being academically, I'm confident that I can excel in your program."

Thank you for your response. You brought up some very positive comments about the whole top 2/3s of test takers and I will definitely use what you said. I liked how you owned up to the experience and ended it positively. This is an amazing response and really cuts through all what would be seen as BS in my post. I was just hoping some of my circumstances such as the part about physics and physiology could add another positive twist to my circumstances. I will not deny I am hung up on this score, but I've worked really hard in this process (we all do) and I want to make sure that I am able to show who I am in an interview without giving some inadequate school. Not to mention There's a lot of pressure in this process and people with 32s on the mcat have gotten asked this question. I also will not deny I'm disappointed in my mcat scores.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, what could I say about my VR score dip that wouldn't be seen as a bs excuse?

Nobody wants to hear excuses. Excuses are a dime a dozen. When you make a mistake in surgery and a guy starts bleeding out, then you have to answer for it later, no one is going to want to hear "well I was sick that day." You know? Own your mistakes and shortcomings. Highlight your strengths. Be confident, be strong, address questions and issues head-on.

And honestly, I don't think anyone with a 32 who is getting asked "why so low?" is getting asked that 100% seriously, unless the rest of their app is amazing (3.9 GPA at MIT for instance). A lot of questions are going to be posed just to see how the candidate responds. It's easy to be confident and talk about how awesome you are when you have a 90th-percentile MCAT and a 90th-percentile GPA and a thousand volunteer and clinical hours. It's also pretty easy for that candidate to get defensive and petulant when you question their ability by saying "why the low MCAT"? Everyone is going to be served a few slices of humble pie in med school and beyond - whether you eat it and smile or throw a fit when that happens says a lot about a potential physician.

So don't sweat it. Whatever you get asked, maintain your composure. Respond maturely. Don't make excuses. Own yourself - your accomplishments and achievements as well as your shortcomings.

Reactions: 1 users
If they are willing enough to interview, it is unlikely they will bring up your score.

Keep it short and simple, if the topic does come up (do not bring it up yourself). I agree with not making excuses. Own up to your mistakes, discuss your reasoning for keeping the score, and move on. If the school wants to punish you a few points for the MCAT, then they can later on in the comprehensive committee review, but the interview is not really the place for that. Your goal is to get a strong interview review reflecting your personal qualities, and you definitely do not wanna waste it dwelling on academic matters that cannot be corrected.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody wants to hear excuses. Excuses are a dime a dozen. When you make a mistake in surgery and a guy starts bleeding out, then you have to answer for it later, no one is going to want to hear "well I was sick that day." You know? Own your mistakes and shortcomings. Highlight your strengths. Be confident, be strong, address questions and issues head-on.

And honestly, I don't think anyone with a 32 who is getting asked "why so low?" is getting asked that 100% seriously, unless the rest of their app is amazing (3.9 GPA at MIT for instance). A lot of questions are going to be posed just to see how the candidate responds. It's easy to be confident and talk about how awesome you are when you have a 90th-percentile MCAT and a 90th-percentile GPA and a thousand volunteer and clinical hours. It's also pretty easy for that candidate to get defensive and petulant when you question their ability by saying "why the low MCAT"? Everyone is going to be served a few slices of humble pie in med school and beyond - whether you eat it and smile or throw a fit when that happens says a lot about a potential physician.

So don't sweat it. Whatever you get asked, maintain your composure. Respond maturely. Don't make excuses. Own yourself - your accomplishments and achievements as well as your shortcomings.

Thank you I will try applying this to another low score scenario, tell me your thoughts on my response. The question would be "why did you do poorly in physics?" (I got Cs in physics). My answer would be that I wasn't sure how to tackle the subject. I was very strong in math, yet conceptual aspects really confused me because they were appeared ambiguous. The format of the course also jarred me a bit because instead of lectures it was discussion/lab based and the instructors employed the socratic method to have us derive conceptual meanings and each equation and I had never had a course like that before. When I struggled I reached out for help in study groups and tutoring, but ultimately I wasn't able to successfully break down the material in a comprehensible manner. I also didn't pursue enough outside resources to help me. I did, however do so a few years later in my time studying for the MCAT when each book broke down physics in a very simple way and I was able to enjoy the subject and develop better understanding of both conceptual aspects and formula. Also the 2 years time from when I took physics and the mcat allowed me to much better handle not understanding the subject in a more mature fashion. I also took more classes in between in difficult subjects so I had new study techniques.

That good?

My eyes started to glaze over a bit during your long-winded explanation. I was bored by the time I got to the good part.

"I had trouble with the concepts. The material was completely foreign to me. I wasn't familiar enough with my learning style to deal with that situation. Since that experience, I've learned a lot about myself and have developed new study methods that I've found much more successful. For example, I initially struggled in [whatever] class but when I sat down and applied these new techniques, as well as sought outside sources of information, I did much better and ended up getting an A in that class."

Etc etc. When explaining poor performance, do so very briefly and honestly then launch right into what you have done to correct it. Following that up with an example of a time you were faced with a similar situation, and overcame it using what you've learned, is a very strong way to finish such an answer.

So you've definitely got the right idea by going into what you've learned from the situation.

Reactions: 2 users
I got 8 on my verbal but no one asked why. I think you should be fine at interviews. No one seemed to care about my MCAT or GPA during interviews

Random non specific advice.

Interviews by their nature are stressful. On the one hand when people are nervous as at interviews, when asked a question, they tend to want to fill the void. And the void will not end until you stop talking so the interviewer can ask you another question. So if it’s a topic that you’re uncomfortable with (MCAT score ), try to keep your answer short. On the other hand at an interview it's your last chance to sell yourself. In essence you're trying to close the deal (get admitted). Follow the ABCs of salesmanship (Always Be Closing). If it’s a topic that you’re comfortable with, expand your answer and highlight your strengths. Good luck.

Your answer strikes me as still dancing around the question as well as making excuses for why you didn't do well (wasn't used to the course format, etc.). To me, that raises the question of why you didn't change your approach to the class and adapt to the format so you could do well. Some classes are just hard and they throw you for a loop; I think it's okay to admit that. Like what jonnythan said, I wouldn't tell a convoluted story about why I got a low grade; I would just briefly cop to my weakness and explain that I learned what my limitations were, and what I did to fix it.

Thank you I will try applying this to another low score scenario, tell me your thoughts on my response. The question would be "why did you do poorly in physics?" (I got Cs in physics). My answer would be that I wasn't sure how to tackle the subject. I was very strong in math, yet conceptual aspects really confused me because they were appeared ambiguous. The format of the course also jarred me a bit because instead of lectures it was discussion/lab based and the instructors employed the socratic method to have us derive conceptual meanings and each equation and I had never had a course like that before. When I struggled I reached out for help in study groups and tutoring, but ultimately I wasn't able to successfully break down the material in a comprehensible manner. I also didn't pursue enough outside resources to help me. I did, however do so a few years later in my time studying for the MCAT when each book broke down physics in a very simple way and I was able to enjoy the subject and develop better understanding of both conceptual aspects and formula. Also the 2 years time from when I took physics and the mcat allowed me to much better handle not understanding the subject in a more mature fashion. I also took more classes in between in difficult subjects so I had new study techniques.

That good?

I was in your situation. Great overall score, excellent science scores, crappy verbal scores. I was asked "what happened in verbal".

I said "I prepared diligently for all three sections of the MCAT and unfortunately I didn't score as well as I planned to in verbal. My performance on this section is only a snapshot of my abilities and is not representative of my performance as a test taker."

Keep it short and sweet. No bull.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your situation. Great overall score, excellent science scores, crappy verbal scores. I was asked "what happened in verbal".

I said "I prepared diligently for all three sections of the MCAT and unfortunately I didn't score as well as I planned to in verbal. My performance on this section is only a snapshot of my abilities and is not representative of my performance as a test taker."

Keep it short and sweet. No bull.

That works if you've taken it once.... but not twice.

100% agree with my young colleague.

Based upon the Interview Feedback section for Allo schools, you'd be surprised how often this comes up. I suspect that when you see discordant results (like a VR8/Bio 12/PS12) or a MCAT = 31 + GPA 3.9, the interviewer wants to know "what's going on? You did so well here, but not there?"

Here's the key. I see a lot of excuses in OPs post. We don't want to hear excuses. And we definitely don't want to hear "I'm more than a standardize test".

This is true, and OP's score is great for any DO program, but for Allo schools, his scores are 4-5 points below the median, and his VR scores are close the the 10th %ile, if not below that. This can be a kiss of death at a good number of MD programs. And the "I was sick but took it anyway" makes me cringe. But I still think that Op can pull off a number of IIs at MD schools if he applies strategically.

Reactions: 5 users
and his VR scores are close the the 10th %ile, if not below that. This can be a kiss of death at a good number of MD programs. And the "I was sick but took it anyway" makes me cringe. But I still think that Op can pull off a number of IIs at MD schools if he applies strategically.
Your MCAT score puts you in the top 2/3 of test takers, for one thing.[/QUOTE]

I hope you don't evaluate your potential matriculants using this false information.

VR = 7 = 36.4%ile
VR = 9 = 66.0%ile

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/admissionsadvisors/mcat_stats/

and his VR scores are close the the 10th %ile, if not below that. This can be a kiss of death at a good number of MD programs. And the "I was sick but took it anyway" makes me cringe. But I still think that Op can pull off a number of IIs at MD schools if he applies strategically.

I hope you don't evaluate your potential matriculants using this false information.

VR = 7 = 36.4%ile
VR = 9 = 66.0%ile

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/admissionsadvisors/mcat_stats/

In fairness, that data is for test takers, not matriculants.

In fairness, that data is for test takers, not matriculants.

You can find a VR score of 9 as the median score for matriculants at many MD schools, way beyond the 10%ile, and no where near below it.

I'll be honest, I skimmed OP's post, but every sentence I read sounded like an excuse...

I would just say that you underestimated the importance of finding different study strategies for different sub sections. While you were well prepared for your science sections, given your extensive experience in studying for the sciences, you did not find the best study method for the verbal section. Moving forward, you now understand how important it is to treat different challenges with different tools and hope that you can use this understanding to tackle the different types of demands you will encounter in medical school.

Pay very careful attention when taking the MCAT's quantitative and reading comprehension sections.

Ad jonny correctly pointed out, The data I was referring to was for MD school matriculants, not test takers. The median VR score for matriculants is 10. Granted, VR is the one section where people get cut some slack, especially if they're ESL, but it's still a seller's market. A VR9 is is the 10th percential for, say, Einstein, which is the first school in the MSAR list. And yes, it's lower for many schools, like Rush or Wake-Forest. That's why OP has to apply strategically.

Most test takers do not get into MD schools.

and his VR scores are close the the 10th %ile, if not below that. This can be a kiss of death at a good number of MD programs. And the "I was sick but took it anyway" makes me cringe. But I still think that OP can pull off a number of IIs at MD schools if he applies strategically.

VR = 7 = 36.4%ile
VR = 9 = 66.0%ile

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/admissionsadvisors/mcat_stats/[/QUOTE]

Anyways my mcat scores, as if you haven't seen them enough are 11/9/11 (29) and 10/7/11 (28)

None of this debate about how good a 9 on VR is matters because:

1) He scored a 7 on the most recent try, and

2) the OP inverted his scores. 11+9+11 = 31. Looking at his older posts, he scored a 9/11/9 and a 10/7/11. I'm pretty sure med schools aren't going to just average the 11 and 7 and call it even...

Also, FWIW, the least competitive non-HBCU Americam MD program I could think of, UMiss, still has a median VR MCAT score of 10.

None of this debate about how good a 9 on VR is matters because:

1) He scored a 7 on the most recent try, and

2) the OP inverted his scores. 11+9+11 = 31. Looking at his older posts, he scored a 9/11/9 and a 10/7/11. I'm pretty sure med schools aren't going to just average the 11 and 7 and call it even...

Also, FWIW, the least competitive non-HBCU Americam MD program I could think of, UMiss, still has a median VR MCAT score of 10.

so how would you handle it in interviews? there are MD schools with lower median scores, such as louisiana shrevport with a 9 and it's in the 10th percentile of plenty of schools. You've also got to realize that when you look at a median there are numbers on both sides of it. It's not just everyone ≥ 10. If schools aren't going to just average it and call it even, what are they going to do?

my bad about inverting the numbers.

Last edited:
so how about some useful advice on how to handle it in interviews? there are MD schools with lower median scores, such as louisiana shrevport with a 9 and it's in the 10th percentile of plenty of schools. You've also got to realize that when you look at a median there are numbers on both sides of it. It's not just everyone ≥ 10. If schools aren't going to just average it and call it even, what are they going to do?

1) Lay off chastening other posters for not giving you advice. Next you'll accuse him of being arrogant and sarcastic. Pick a new tune.

2) Each school will do their own thing with your score, no one can tell you what will happen. Hence Goro's oft repeated advice to apply strategically.

so how would you handle it in interviews? there are MD schools with lower median scores, such as louisiana shrevport with a 9 and it's in the 10th percentile of plenty of schools. You've also got to realize that when you look at a median there are numbers on both sides of it. It's not just everyone ≥ 10. If schools aren't going to just average it and call it even, what are they going to do?

my bad about inverting the numbers.

1) Like UMiss, Shreveport doesn't accept applicants without significant ties to the area, hence the 0.47% OOS acceptance rate. We're talking about MD programs that anyone can apply to. Howard has a median of 9 in VR (and BS); pretty much irrelevant here, wouldn't you agree?

2) I'm not sure what adcoms do when they see big discrepancies (ask goro). All I can tell you is this: I took an MCAT class which had a former adcom come in to speak. He said that when his school (and many schools) saw a decrease in any score on a retake, they considered that lower score representative, and considered the higher score to be a lucky fluke, just to play it safe.

3) As far as advice goes...I'm not going to tell you to re-take the MCAT, because I know you won't. Definitely don't say you were sick and still took it, as that brings your good judgement into question. You did improve your PS/BS scores, so that might be something to talk about.

Bottom line: you can talk about your dedication in working hard across multiple schools, and that you're compassionate about patient care (if you have the ECs to prove it). I don't know, maybe other applicants admit they slack off and aren't compassionate. Who knows...

If medical schools do not want to hear excuses, why would they ask about a low MCAT or low GPA? Seems like a pointless question. Numbers speak for themselves. Aren't interviews supposed to disclose character?

If medical schools do not want to hear excuses, why would they ask about a low MCAT or low GPA? Seems like a pointless question. Numbers speak for themselves. Aren't interviews supposed to disclose character?

To see how you react. Do you give a sob story, list excuses, blame someone else? Or do you accept responsibility and explain what you learned from the situation and how you have corrected it?

This sort of question is a great way to gauge maturity level.

Reactions: 3 users
To see how you react. Do you give a sob story, list excuses, blame someone else? Or do you accept responsibility and explain what you learned from the situation and how you have corrected it?

This sort of question is a great way to gauge maturity level.

How do you "explain what you learned from the situation" in terms of bad grades/MCAT? It seems like the only acceptable answer is admitting that you did not work hard enough. So what, are you supposed to say you learned to work harder? Doesn't sound like a very enlightening question. I understand the whole responding to challenge and mistakes question, but I don't think it's useful in terms of academics. The numbers speak for themselves. If a guy responded to a poor semester with a better semester, that speaks for itself. If you respond to a poor semester with another poor semester, that also speaks for itself.

How do you "explain what you learned from the situation" in terms of bad grades/MCAT? It seems like the only acceptable answer is admitting that you did not work hard enough. So what, are you supposed to say you learned to work harder? Doesn't sound like a very enlightening question. I understand the whole responding to challenge and mistakes question, but I don't think it's useful in terms of academics. The numbers speak for themselves. If a guy responded to a poor semester with a better semester, that speaks for itself. If you respond to a poor semester with another poor semester, that also speaks for itself.

Read the thread. Your question has been answered.

Read the thread. Your question has been answered.

I did read the thread and my question still stands. You can explain all you want about new study methods that you developed, but it has no credibility unless the numbers back it up. If you ended college with a couple bad semesters, why would someone believe these "new study methods" you supposedly developed? If you started out poorly and ended strongly, why would the "new study methods" even need to be explained? The numbers show that you learned/grew. As for your sample explanation of a poor MCAT, you're basically just deflecting the question by saying the rest of your application is better. There's nothing meaningful you can say about the MCAT score that is simultaneously enlightening to the interviewer and not an "excuse". I still don't like asking about poor numbers.

I did read the thread and my question still stands. You can explain all you want about new study methods that you developed, but it has no credibility unless the numbers back it up. If you ended college with a couple bad semesters, why would someone believe these "new study methods" you supposedly developed? If you started out poorly and ended strongly, why would the "new study methods" even need to be explained? The numbers show that you learned/grew. As for your sample explanation of a poor MCAT, you're basically just deflecting the question by saying the rest of your application is better. There's nothing meaningful you can say about the MCAT score that is simultaneously enlightening to the interviewer and not an "excuse". I still don't like asking about poor numbers.

OK. Well, if and when an interviewer poses the question to you, by all means use this answer. Give OP your own suggestions as well.

1) Like UMiss, Shreveport doesn't accept applicants without significant ties to the area, hence the 0.47% OOS acceptance rate. We're talking about MD programs that anyone can apply to. Howard has a median of 9 in VR (and BS); pretty much irrelevant here, wouldn't you agree?

2) I'm not sure what adcoms do when they see big discrepancies (ask goro). All I can tell you is this: I took an MCAT class which had a former adcom come in to speak. He said that when his school (and many schools) saw a decrease in any score on a retake, they considered that lower score representative, and considered the higher score to be a lucky fluke, just to play it safe.

3) As far as advice goes...I'm not going to tell you to re-take the MCAT, because I know you won't. Definitely don't say you were sick and still took it, as that brings your good judgement into question. You did improve your PS/BS scores, so that might be something to talk about.

Bottom line: you can talk about your dedication in working hard across multiple schools, and that you're compassionate about patient care (if you have the ECs to prove it). I don't know, maybe other applicants admit they slack off and aren't compassionate. Who knows...

I have the ECs and what you said makes a lot sense. Though if they've already made a decision, I'm not sure exactly what I could say that changes that. Going from an 11 to a 7 indicates a big slip if you ask me or something happened and if that's what they ask, there's a fine line between saying something that can be seen as an excuse and explaining, but i'll try and focus on the positives.

OK. Well, if and when an interviewer poses the question to you, by all means use this answer. Give OP your own suggestions as well.

you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying any of these answers are bad. I'm saying the question is stupid. If I was, in fact, being posed this question, I would not tell the interviewer "your question is bad and you should feel bad". Just a perspective that wasn't voiced in the thread yet.

you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying any of these answers are bad. I'm saying the question is stupid. If I was, in fact, being posed this question, I would not tell the interviewer "your question is bad and you should feel bad". Just a perspective that wasn't voiced in the thread yet.

Maybe the question is stupid. Maybe not. I don't think it's particularly stupid, because the answer can be illuminating.

Sometimes in interviews the actual answer to the question doesn't matter. The interviewer at Google doesn't care how many gallons of milk fit into a tanker truck, but they might ask you the question to see how you approach the problem and what sort of methods you use to estimate the answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe the question is stupid. Maybe not. I don't think it's particularly stupid, because the answer can be illuminating.

Sometimes in interviews the actual answer to the question doesn't matter. The interviewer at Google doesn't care how many gallons of milk fit into a tanker truck, but they might ask you the question to see how you approach the problem and what sort of methods you use to estimate the answer.

Makes sense. Like you said before is to illustrate that I learned something from the experience and own up to my mistakes instead of saying anything that can be conveyed as an excuse. It's the thought process that matters.

Makes sense. Like you said before is to illustrate that I learned something from the experience and own up to my mistakes instead of saying anything that can be conveyed as an excuse. It's the thought process that matters.

Keep in mind you may have to answer to why you did not re-take the MCAT after getting a 7. To be honest, I have no idea how I'd answer that question personally.

Keep in mind you may have to answer to why you did not re-take the MCAT after getting a 7. To be honest, I have no idea how I'd answer that question personally.

I'd say something like "I already took the exam twice and didn't want to risk another potentially low score". That's the truth, but it doesn't sound good. I also already went through every resource. Also if you take the highest score out of all my sections it's a 32. Getting that in one test is trickier.

Just to add, I had a score of 8/12/12, 8 being verbal. When I made my list, I only picked schools which accepted my verbal score. I got 7 interview invites. Pm me and I can give you the list

this is kind of a spin off to this question so Im bringing it back, but how would one explain taking MCATs multiple times with all of the scores being subpar. The first time I took the test to the last time (my fourth time) were 4 years a part (took it twice in 2010, once in 2012 and last time took it in 2014)…but none of my scores are what I consider to be competitive…from my 2nd to 3rd time I went down (26 --> 22). Technically the first two scores are expired…but I know schools still can see them. Anyways, Im applying to schools this time around with a 29 (PS: 9 VR: 8 BS: 12) and have been getting interviews luckily. I have greatly matured since the last time I applied (back in 2010) and am a completely different applicant. This is clearly apparent through my application.

The way I plan to explain: is that my attitude towards the test was very negative and I didn't properly balance my life during these times. When I finally figured out the way to effectively study and also maintain relationships outside of studying I tended to be more happy and I ended up relating MCAT studying to my life experiences rather just rote memorization. Im not trying to make excuses for my poor (multiple) scores but I definitely need to have an explanation!

this is kind of a spin off to this question so Im bringing it back, but how would one explain taking MCATs multiple times with all of the scores being subpar. The first time I took the test to the last time (my fourth time) were 4 years a part (took it twice in 2010, once in 2012 and last time took it in 2014)…but none of my scores are what I consider to be competitive…from my 2nd to 3rd time I went down (26 --> 22). Technically the first two scores are expired…but I know schools still can see them. Anyways, Im applying to schools this time around with a 29 (PS: 9 VR: 8 BS: 12) and have been getting interviews luckily. I have greatly matured since the last time I applied (back in 2010) and am a completely different applicant. This is clearly apparent through my application.

The way I plan to explain: is that my attitude towards the test was very negative and I didn't properly balance my life during these times. When I finally figured out the way to effectively study and also maintain relationships outside of studying I tended to be more happy and I ended up relating MCAT studying to my life experiences rather just rote memorization. Im not trying to make excuses for my poor (multiple) scores but I definitely need to have an explanation!
The best route is to take ownership, don't make excuses, explain how you've addressed any deficits, what you've gained/learned from it, and how you'll never necrobump another mrh thread ever again.

The best route is to take ownership, don't make excuses, explain how you've addressed any deficits, what you've gained/learned from it, and how you'll never necrobump another mrh thread ever again.

HAHAHA! I actually was going to make a new thread solely because of that, but I was taking the lazy route. Yeah thanks, thats what I plan to do…my whole journey has definitely humbled me as an applicant and want to make it clear to ADCOMs that I can handle medical school despite my track record