How should I answer this Institutional Action prompt from USF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the school-specific thread earlier, but I'm hoping to get some more thoughts on my dilemma.

I have a question about the USF secondary institutional action prompt (which is annoying, because I literally answered this question almost verbatim on the AMCAS primary). Their question is: "Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for scholastic misconduct (such as plagiarism or cheating) or any other type of behavioral misconduct at any educational institution? If yes, explain".

I was placed on academic probation for poor grades many years ago in undergrad. Their prompt seems to be focusing on "misconduct", which I have none. If I planned on talking about the circumstances of my IA in their required "academic difficulties" section, how should I go about this? It seems like they haven't even considered academic probation as an IA if they're asking this question AND a "poor grades" question as well.

What do you think? I feel I would be disingenuous if I select "no IA", but I am not sure what to say that would be different from the academic challenges and the IA prompt on the AMCAS primary if I select "yes".

Members don't see this ad.

If you did not cheat or otherwise do something to inflate your grades, then the answer is no. If you were put on probation due to poor grades, this is not misconduct.

I posted this in the school-specific thread earlier, but I'm hoping to get some more thoughts on my dilemma.

I have a question about the USF secondary institutional action prompt (which is annoying, because I literally answered this question almost verbatim on the AMCAS primary). Their question is: "Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for scholastic misconduct (such as plagiarism or cheating) or any other type of behavioral misconduct at any educational institution? If yes, explain".

I was placed on academic probation for poor grades many years ago in undergrad. Their prompt seems to be focusing on "misconduct", which I have none. If I planned on talking about the circumstances of my IA in their required "academic difficulties" section, how should I go about this? It seems like they haven't even considered academic probation as an IA if they're asking this question AND a "poor grades" question as well.

What do you think? I feel I would be disingenuous if I select "no IA", but I am not sure what to say that would be different from the academic challenges and the IA prompt on the AMCAS primary if I select "yes".
To me, it does not look like a generic IA prompt. As you noted, it is specifically asking about scholastic or behavioral misconduct, not an academic underachievement IA. As long as your IA is disclosed elsewhere, I think you can respond no to this prompt in good conscience, based on how it is worded. I don't think they are looking for academic probation here.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did not cheat or otherwise do something to inflate your grades, then the answer is no. If you were put on probation due to poor grades, this is not misconduct.
To me, it does not look like a generic IA prompt. As you noted, it is specifically asking about scholastic or behavioral misconduct, not an academic underachievement IA. As long as your IA is disclosed elsewhere, I think you can respond no to this prompt in good conscience, based on how it is worded. I don't think they are looking for academic probation here.
Thank you both!

Reactions: 1 user

Please re-read the question. It's not about academics, but behavior. Yes, the word "academic" in in the prompt, but they're not asking about whether you failed too many classes.