How should I approach this unique letter of Rec situation? Advice Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-Kennedy35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I graduated from university last September and the professor's class was the last class I took. I asked her for a letter right after and she was very encouraging and said she would write one. She asked me to ask my TA to write a paragraph that she can include in the letter and a paragraph of my own. Anyways, I had to put this on my back burner because i was studying for the MCAT. In October, I get an email from her that she needs my help as she's facing job review and would like me to write a letter for her. I said I would and I submitted this in january. I told her i made it very strong and she was very happy about this.

I got back to her in February with my paragraph and notified her that the TA had also submitted a paragraph to her inbox on so and so date. She was still very positive and thanked me and said to send her a reminder a few weeks before the due date (I set it to April 30th). In Mid March I reached out to her and gave her a reminder but I received no reply. I continued sending reminders every 2 weeks and have not received a reply. I sent another email regarding a completely different topic( regarding a book she was interested in) and she told me she was recovering from COVID and she mentioned a lot of things, general pleasantries, except the letter. Here I had the feeling that she might've forgotten me or was mistaking me for someone else.

Anyways, I sent a followup email that I'm glad she was feeling better and that the deadline for the letter is May 8th (I gave her 3 weeks more). No reply. My options now are to start a new thread and continue sending weekly reminders and in the subject specify "its due Friday, May 8th." OR I can message my TA b/c she's TAing another class for her right now and let her know what's going on! She and I were close but I want to be careful that I am not being too aggressive so I don't want to send another email to the prof while CCing the TA for example.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

This is not unique. Almost everyone has issues getting letter writers to actually write it. Stop extending deadlines, many people are procrastinators and will wait till the last minute.

Also, letters don't have to be in to submit AMCAS or get secondaries (at most schools at least). You have time.

A week before the due date, remind them, and the again on the due date. Hopefully you included information on how to actually submit the letter in your information packet (transcripts, cover letter, resume, personal statement, past class work, bullet points, etc). Your job is to make the process as easy as possible for them.