Medical How should I focus my personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After an unsuccessful cycle, I am still seeking advice on how/where is appropriate to discuss and mention an misdemeanor DUI while underage. I discussed this in secondary applications in my past cycle and it came up in my interviews, so I understand that it something very concerning to the Admissions Committee and is my only real red flag. In reapplying, I have been getting conflicting advice on whether or not to focus on it in the personal statement.

My original intent for personal statement is to focus on my nontraditional background in terms of journey to medicine, academic major, sexual orientation, URM upbringing and long-term commitment to communities that I am interested in advocating and serving as medical professional (LGBT, minorities, and people with disabilities, and elderly). I feel this is a more positive statement and focuses on my journey and passion for medicine, and I am worried that the DUI will take away from the overall impression if I discuss it in my personal statement. However, I also don't want to appear avoidant of the issue since I have fully owned and resolved personal issues surrounding the DUI and have maintained years of sobriety and AA participation. I am proud of the way that I have handled my DUI and overcome these challenges, however it's overall influence on decision to pursue medicine is not as central in my opinion as to fit in the personal statement. Still, I am open to discussing it in a personal statement if that is advised and would possibly include how it opened my understanding to working with those with addiction and who are in recovery.

So, is there a balance that needs to be had between all of this or do I truly need to focus on the DUI in my statement? I am having a hard time understanding how to represent myself the best and also be fully transparent in order to have the best chance of being accepted. Thank you.
I think it is wiser to leave the DUI out of the personal statement and not to make it a focus of your application. Obviously, this doesn’t mean lying about it, omitting it entirely from the app, or making excuses.

The Ps serves two purposes: 1, it answers the question “Why do you want to go to medical school”, and 2, it acts as a roadmap for your application. So the PS should be focused on those two things above all else.

The DUI should be mentioned in the appropriate section (misdemeanor / arrest (if applicable) / “is there anything else?”. Own up to it and talk about what you learned, how youve grown since then.

There is telling info in your post: you received IIs. This tells me that at least some schools were able to look past your DUI as they wouldn’t waste an II on someone they believed was dead on arrival.

I recommend working on shoring up other weak areas of your app during this next cycle be it clinical volunteering, experience or what have you. Refocus your application to highlight your strengths and reasons for coming to medicine. Own up to the DUI and discuss it but only where most appropriate and refrain from dwelling on it or repeating yourself: it’s a footnote in you’re life, it was a terrible mistake but it doesn’t define you so don’t let it define your application.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.