Medical How should I go about explaining gap years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The prompt says to explain any gaps in education, and to also explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.

By this, would I be fine just telling them what I've been doing for my gap years, or does this mean explain why I took the gap years?

If so, I would like some advice on how to explain this.

I've been out of school for several years.

My initial plan was to apply to med schools during one summer. I had some health issues that came up, so I postponed.

Then more health issues arose during that year, and by the time I got those sorted out, it was close to the next gap year summer and I decided to postpone those plans.

So now I'm applying.

Can I keep it vague? Say something like, I was interested in exploring research during my gap years, and due to life circumstances I ended up delaying applying to medical school until now? And then briefly elaborate on the research and volunteer work I did during that time?

What if they ask for more details about his in an interview?
Re-read the bolded text

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, I'm asking if by "explain the gaps" are they asking to tell them what I've been doing in my gaps, or explaining why I took the gaps? Also, if it is the latter, is what I described the best way to go about it?
*sigh*

Hate to be blunt, but there's a reason why CARS is on the MCAT.

The prompt is NOT merely asking you "What did you do in your gap years?"

Telling the truth is often the best way to go. IF you are worried about mental health issues, a long stretch of academic excellence will allay Adcom concerns.

ex·plain

/ikˈsplān/

Learn to pronounce

verb

make (an idea, situation, or problem) clear to someone by describing it in more detail or revealing relevant facts or ideas.

"they explained that their lives centered on the religious rituals"

account for (an action or event) by giving a reason as excuse or justification.

"Callie found it necessary to explain her blackened eye"

I've seen mentioned around the forum not to bring up health issues. If you were reading my application, and I said that I was interested in exploring research during my gap years, and due to life circumstances and personal issues that came up, I ended up delaying applying to medical school until now, would that suffice? It's truthful, and I don't know if it's the best idea to start a discussion of specific health issues I dealt with.
That's too nebulous for my taste; comes across as if you're hiding something.

It's OK to say "health issues". Due to HIPAA laws, we're not allowed to ask beyond that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think as long as you were employed full time during your time off, you don't need to say anything about your mental health. Many people take gap years just because they want to and not because of mental health issues because they "needed time off." It's not a red flag.

That being said, if you can weave an interesting story about mental health into your narrative and your quest to better your own mental health, it could speak well to your ability to empathize with patients who also have mental health issues. Talking about mental health and mental illness, even your own, is not a red or even a pink flag as long as your mental health issues are under control and you can be introspective about how your mental health issues can make you a better doctor. It can even be a positive, regardless of what others believe on this site or otherwise.

Myriad physicians suffer from depression and/or anxiety, and the field becomes more and more open about hearing about mental illness in medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.