How Should I Prepare for Applying and OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustInYurEyez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am currently an undergraduate and I should be expecting to graduate in Fall of 2018. I recently just went on a tour at ICO while I was in Chicago. The admissions office suggested that I apply during Summer 2018, as well as make sure I take my OAT by then. I have yet to complete all of the prerequisite courses needed but here is where I currently stand and what I plan on taking over the next year.

Completed Prerequisites:
-Anatomy & Physiology
-General Biology I
-Calculus I (Received a 'C-", I have high hopes of getting into SCCO as their minimum grades for pre-reqs are a "C-" otherwise I will still apply to the other schools and just retake it if the other schools end up accepting me)
-English
-Sociology
-Psychology
-Statistics

Currently Taking:
Spring 2017
-General Chemistry I
-General Biology II

Summer 2017
-General Chemistry II

Fall 2017
-Organic Chemistry I
-Microbiology
-Physics I

Spring 2018
-Biochemistry
-Physics II

If I finish all prerequisites by Spring 2018, and begin studying for the OAT immediately following the end of the semester would that give me enough time to study? Or could it be possibly beneficial to learn from the OAT for the classes I have yet to take, that might actually help me do better in the classes? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @JustInYurEyez !

I think that it would be beneficial for you to have taken the coursework covered on the OAT before studying/taking the OAT. That way, you'll have already studied the material for the class and once you start reviewing/studying for the OAT, it will be just that—review. Especially since you will have had taken a lot of courses covering OAT material within the year prior to taking your OAT (GenChem I&II, GenBio II, OChem I&II, Physics I&II, basically all of them actually).

If you're planning on applying Summer 2018, I would focus on learning as much as you can from those classes now so that you can easily review for the OAT after Spring 2018. You can apply and take the OAT both during Summer 2018, it's totally manageable :)

Reactions: 1 user
@pentaholic94

Awesome! Thank you for the input!
Now about Ochem II.. I know that most of the schools that I plan on applying to only require one semester of Ochem I, and I have spoken with students at my university saying that they ask for department approval from our Chemistry department to opt out of taking Ochem II, and enroll in taking Biochemistry. Would you say that taking Ochem II is highly recommended in order to do good on the OAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. That was really helpful, thanks for sharing that thorough post!