How should I proceed? Dilemma!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdoom12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit about myself:

cGPA 3.83
sGPA 3.6 (strong upward trend for both; haven't made anything below an A since I was a freshman)
Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I look to score between a 30-35, as that is usually where my practice scores fall.

1 year of research
Over 600 hospital hours with direct patient contact.
120 hours shadowing between a family practitioner and specialties
100+ hours non-medical volunteering
Vice-President of the oldest honor society on campus
Treasurer for 1 year of my selected major's organization
Vice-President for 1 year of my selected major's organization (depending on my decision)

My dilemma: I'm a senior nursing major at my college. Medical school was a late decision, and I thank my time in nursing for showing me what I truly wanted to do with my life. However, due to it being a late decision, I have yet to complete Physics 1 & 2, Chem 2, Organic Chem 1 & 2, and Calculus. Again, being a senior, this means that I will need an extra year of undergraduate coursework. I'm completely fine with this.

However, I am considering changing majors to psychology. I've read how nursing majors are frowned upon by admission committees, and I honestly have no desire to work as a nurse for any amount of time. Also, if I graduate in May as scheduled with my BSN, I will receive no financial aid for the upcoming year, meaning I will owe quite a bit of money in loans where I owe none as of now (I receive a full ride through aid and scholarships). I could defer graduation until next May and finish nursing, but I honestly don't want to shoot myself in the foot before I even begin the race. Switching to psychology will allow me to take Calculus and Chem 2 this coming semester, leaving me with psychology courses and the remainder of my prereqs for the Summer and next year, which I think would be a plus. Otherwise, I would have to take Chem 2 over summer and Calculus, Physics, and Organic the next year. If I do change majors, I will lose a half a year of the leadership position involving my major, but I will be able to add another year of research through the psychology department. Good trade-off?

tldr: Should I switch majors, continue to owe no money for my undergraduate education, and not have a degree in nursing, or should I stay a nursing major, graduate in May, and be in debt 10-20k after I graduate? Also, will changing majors this late in the game raise any red-flags upon my application?

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If for some reason you don't get in to medical school directly or decide to take some time off before attending, a BSN is a far more valuable degree to have than a BA or BS in Psychology. Conventional wisdom holds that your choice of major plays an extremely small/nonexistent role in your chances at admission.

I'd encourage you to defer graduation and keep those scholarships while you take the pre-reqs if possible. As long as you can address that question of why the change in focus- nursing --> med school, that seems like the safest bet.

Either way good luck!

Thank you for the advice! Will definitely consider it.

Anyone else feel the same or differently? I know that a BSN is a much more marketable degree than psychology, but in my specific situation, can anyone see any downfalls to finishing it up?