How should I rank following programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rotator22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SLU
NYU
Jackson Memorial
Cleveland Clinic
UT Houston
U Mass
Ohio State

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I'd rank them in the order that they appealed to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you want to live for the next 4 years?

In a hospital :rolleyes: dude, thats what 'residency' means
Just kidding ;) .. but I am not worried about the location.. its more the dough that comes after completing residency..

SLU
NYU
Jackson Memorial
Cleveland Clinic
UT Houston
U Mass
Ohio State

I don't think there'd be significant differences in potential income after finishing residency, although the possibilities of the UMass forensics fellowship would certainly add some earning potential to your CV. I agree with the others that you should rank these based on which you liked best. Since you seem to want a list though, here's how I'd rank them if I were facing the choice:

NYU (great multifaceted program in NYC)
UMass (great multifaceted program, but in Worcester)
Cleveland Clinic (I know the chair - good guy)
Jackson Memorial (Miami's nice)
SLU (I have friends in St. Louis)
Ohio State (Blue state)
UT Houston (Red state)

As you can see, beyond numbers 2-3 my rationale is entirely personal, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
UMass forensics fellowship

I was very impressed with that fellowship when I interivewed there. Paul Applebaum used to be the forensics fellowship PD (moved on to Columbia) and the Psychiatry Forensic fellowship works hand in hand with the Psychology Forensic Fellowship--giving you the best of both worlds. There are several aspects of forensics that are not taught in psychiatric fellowships, but taught to psychologists that are useful to psychiatrists such as malingering tests (the MMPI, the MFAST, SIRS).

Several forensics fellowships I interviewed had no corresponding psychological forensic training or psychologists working in the psychiatry fellowship. When I asked this at my interviews, some of the programs gave a "huh?" response. I also worked with a few forensic psychiatrists who had no way to respond to a forensic psychologist showing a psychometric test that contradicted that psychiatrist's subjective assessment of the situation.

But I digress.

Getting to the OT...you need to judge this based on several factors, only of which you can decide the algorithm.

Will the program teach you well clinically & academically? Will it get you to where you want to be in 4 years? Do you want to live in the area where the program is? How will your lifestyle be (is the program malignant?, call hours?).

I can tell you that NYU is a great program, however NYC's cost of living is through the roof. I don't know what their work schedule is like, but I'd imagine its tough being that this is a big city residency.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks much for your advice :love::thumbup: .. I cancelled 2 ivs and will now focus on west coast for December.

Cheers