How should I start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zakley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to both the site and the medical community and would appreciate some advice. I'm fairly long out of undergrad and didn't take many sciences - Theatre major here. I did however take Calc and Physics in high school, not sure if that counts. Anyway, for the past 9 years I've been trying to make it as a TV writer and for some time have been looking at the Physician's Assistant profession from afar. I've decided to make a career change and tonight started looking into how to become a PA. In reading this site and others, as well as about Post Bacc programs, SMPs, etc it occured to me that the PA pre-reqs and program may be almost as lengthy for me as a post bacc and MD course. In fact, looking at the PA pre-reqs, it feels like I'd have to get about half of a second undergrad degree. I understand that there are different benefits to becoming an MD and to PA, but I am a little stymied in how to proceed. Any thoughts or suggestions would be really great.

ZAK

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the post was a little vague so I am not sure exactly what you are looking to do. The pre-reqs are essentially the same for the MD/DO school and PA school (plus or minus a few classes). Do you want to become a dr. or a PA? I am a little confused how to help you because I am not sure what you want or what your question is...

Sorry if I was unclear, I'd been reading the site for a few hours and felt pretty wonky. My thought is to become a PA and got really frustrated reading the requirements for applying to a PA program. It seemed like I'd need 2 years of more undergrad classes before I could qualify due to things like composition classes and others.

I think it may come down to deciding on a post bacc program or picking up classes on my own. I know there are a lot of threads on post baccs vs just taking classes. However, last night they all seemed geared toward med school. So I think my question is - how should I prepare to apply for a pa program with my limited sciene background?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
well I am not exactly sure how you would need to prepare. You will have to take the science courses before applying, obviously, but not sure what else you would need. This is a Dr. forum so I would tell you to try physicianassistantforum.com they offer some good info on PA.

Thank you for pointing me to that site.