How should I study now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the June 13 MCAT and voided it. My practice scores were only around a 26 average. I used Examkrackers, listened to most of Audio Osmosis, and did quite a few Chem and Physics 1001. I am scheduled for the July 18 MCAT and am wondering what else I should do to prep. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Get your hands on as many legitimate practice tests as possible. You should take each test under the same conditions you would the actual MCAT. This includes time restrictions, environment, desk space, etc. It's been a few years since I took the MCAT. That was back in the day when the tests were on paper (gasp!). Being able to simulate the test conditions and to build up the stamina required to take the test will pay dividends.

However, if you're averaging a 26 under non-testing conditions, you need to slow down and try to find out what's getting ya. The foundation of the MCAT is knowing a bunch of stuff that allows you to speak the same language as the test. The test is entirely analysis and problem-solving. You need to find out what the disparity is between what you know and how you approach each problem.

I took AAMC 7-10, hence how I know about my average score. So it has been under testing conditions.

I am going to use Audio Osmosis and follow through the books to get a firmer grasp of the material. I noticed it REALLY helped me. Too bad I figured it out two days before the test.

What I need to know better is how to think of the questions and answer them like the MCAT wants me to. I mostly mean the sciences, I am good at the verbal.

One thing I like to do, with ample study time available, is to quiz myself. For example, if I learned about transcription/translation three weeks ago, I'll give myself a pop-quiz and see how well I can recall the information. Problems I miss are easier to restudy vs study afresh. This process of reassimiliation helps infirm your overall understanding of the MCAT environment