How should I target a specific area for residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted924664

Hi guys. I am an MS3 US-IMG at one of the Israeli medical schools. I really like Neurology, and have I guess shown commitment to the field via research. I should (hopefully) have 2 Cardiology papers published and a few Neurology papers published as well before it comes time to submit residency applications. I got a 236 on step 1 and should be about middle of the road grades wise in my class (maybe a little better). And I should have good letters of recommendation. Basically I really miss living near my family and because of this want to do everything possible to get neuro residency in one of the South Florida (FAU, Cleveland Clinic, Miami, Palmetto, Memorial programs). So I was wondering what is the best way to show these programs that they are my top choice. I was planning on doing electives there but they are slim because of covid (was hoping for 3 Neuro and 1 Internal, with as many in florida as I can get). So not sure what else I can do. My only goals are to continue research and do well on step 2 not sure how else to show commitment to the programs as well as neurology as a whole?

Truthfully I am a little nervous applying Neuro because there are so few programs in the location where I want to be... Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from a Florida program. Residency is busy. While I get you want to see family/live near them you probably won't see them as much as you'd like.

That being said, I would apply a bit more broadly. There are some good programs in northern/central Florida and truth be told a flight is an hour to a couple hours anyway for when you want to visit your family and have a few days off.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user