How simular is actual pcat compared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PCATBOMBER

Full Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How closely is the actual pcat to pearson and collin. I know kaplan is alot more diffcult. I know this been asked before but the topic I found are mainly old and PCAT today may had changed alot. I have been scoring 80%+ raw score for bio.chem.and quant. For both pearson and collin. Avg like 33-36/48 and after subtraction 8 questions i set relatively at 31-35/40. Composite for pearson i sat at 80%-99% rank for all 3 practice test. My greatest concern is going into the actual PCAT and see totally different lvl of diffculties. My test is not till july 2016.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2016-02-12-09-11-44~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-12-09-11-44~2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_2016-02-10-22-00-43~3.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-10-22-00-43~3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 209
pcatbomber, if you are really getting 80-99% on your practice test don't stress you'll do good. Just get ready for a long day, it will go by fast but it's still gonna be a long day that will sap the energy out of you. Practice your essay part by getting used to 30mins of structuring your essay, getting your points across, and conclusion. If you read a lot to begin with you should be okay with the vocab section. Remember there aren't calculators allowed so the questions they ask you aren't gonna be long calculations like you did in chem 2. Skip all questions that will take longer than 1 min to get through or answer to till the end and you'll do good. You should know your pre-calc/calc and statistics. From what you've given for stats and that you'll be taking it in july your fine. Your WAY ahead with relation to the amount of time you have to prepare until your test. Don't over think it so much and trust in yourself, you'll do fine.
 
pcatbomber, if you are really getting 80-99% on your practice test don't stress you'll do good. Just get ready for a long day, it will go by fast but it's still gonna be a long day that will sap the energy out of you. Practice your essay part by getting used to 30mins of structuring your essay, getting your points across, and conclusion. If you read a lot to begin with you should be okay with the vocab section. Remember there aren't calculators allowed so the questions they ask you aren't gonna be long calculations like you did in chem 2. Skip all questions that will take longer than 1 min to get through or answer to till the end and you'll do good. You should know your pre-calc/calc and statistics. From what you've given for stats and that you'll be taking it in july your fine. Your WAY ahead with relation to the amount of time you have to prepare until your test. Don't over think it so much and trust in yourself, you'll do fine.
Thanks escanoke. I know I am starting way ahead. I just have doubt in myself and losing 5 -10 questions is just not really an option for me. After a month of review I feel over ready for this exam at some point. Studying 2016 dr.collin and kaplan for content review and with pearsons study guide and practice test all together. This year cycle they remove the verbal section completely out. So only QA.bio.chem and reading now. If the difficulty is simular to the practice pcat then i will find it easy to do.
 
Have faith in yourself and don't let irrational fears cloud your true potential. I'm not suggesting to ease up on studying or anything like that. Just keep the pace up and motivate yourself. Maybe you can find more reading comprehension passages with questions from GRE books or from online, to help you get used to reading and answering questions. From there you can find out what is you weak point and go from there?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have faith in yourself and don't let irrational fears cloud your true potential. I'm not suggesting to ease up on studying or anything like that. Just keep the pace up and motivate yourself. Maybe you can find more reading comprehension passages with questions from GRE books or from online, to help you get used to reading and answering questions. From there you can find out what is you weak point and go from there?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks. I will do that. I study 4 hours everyday. Some days 8 hours. If there is a day that I don't study at least for a hour. I can't sleep. So it is hard to say that I am motivated but surely I am determined. Thanks for the gre tips. Will look into it.
 
Thanks escanoke. I know I am starting way ahead. I just have doubt in myself and losing 5 -10 questions is just not really an option for me. After a month of review I feel over ready for this exam at some point. Studying 2016 dr.collin and kaplan for content review and with pearsons study guide and practice test all together. This year cycle they remove the verbal section completely out. So only QA.bio.chem and reading now. If the difficulty is simular to the practice pcat then i will find it easy to do.

I actually have the same exact question/concerns, and I am in the same boat (taking the pcat in July and scoring around the same scores). I was reading over the new candidate booklet, and they now allow a non-scientific calculator. I thought this was weird, so I called Pearson twice, they they said that the booklet info is correct. I am very worried the difficulty is much more than what we've been studying. They did offer new practice tests, but I hope my scores on these actually reflect where I actually stand on this updated material. I'am trying to be postive like you guys mentioned, but I can't help being worried!


Calculator info.:
http://pcatweb.info/downloads/CIB_MNL_FNL_on-line.pdf
* Scroll down to page 19- to the section "During the Exam"
It states under the "During the Exam" section:
"You will be provided with a nonscientific online standard calculator for the Biological" Processes, Chemical Processes, and Quantitative Reasoning subtests.
 
Last edited:
I actually have the same exact question/concerns, and I am in the same boat (taking the pcat in July and scoring around the same scores). I was reading over the new candidate booklet, and they now allow a non-scientific calculator. I thought this was weird, so I called Pearson twice, they they said that the booklet info is correct. I am very worried the difficulty is much more than what we've been studying. They did offer new practice tests, but I hope my scores on these actually reflect where I actually stand on this updated material. I'am trying to be postive like you guys mentioned, but I can't help being worried!


Calculator info.:
http://pcatweb.info/downloads/CIB_MNL_FNL_on-line.pdf
* Scroll down to page 19- to the section "During the Exam"
It states under the "During the Exam" section:
"You will be provided with a nonscientific online standard calculator for the Biological" Processes, Chemical Processes, and Quantitative Reasoning subtests.
That was my concern. Take the new pearson practice and just do your best. I dont know why they add the calculator though. It could mean more time consuming and bigger numbers.