How specific/technical should I be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoihaie

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For UCLA's question that asks:

6. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 Characters)

How should I approach this to talk about my research? Can I use technical terms (i.e. like writing papers) or should I write it like i do for lay person?

Members don't see this ad.

It's only 800 characters, so how technical can you even get? Just give a general overview.

It's only 800 characters, so how technical can you even get? Just give a general overview.

I mean morel iek should i explain what specific concepts are, what specific proteins do, specific assays...etc or assume adcom would know??

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean morel iek should i explain what specific concepts are, what specific proteins do, specific assays...etc or assume adcom would know??

Write it so the average scientifically-educated person would understand. So, you don't have to define a Western blot or cell culturing, for example, but you should explain the role of specific proteins.

Write it so the average scientifically-educated person would understand. So, you don't have to define a Western blot or cell culturing, for example, but you should explain the role of specific proteins.

This. Plus I would add that you want to include enough details to show that you are intelligent and doing legitimate work. If you water it down too much, it sounds like you don't have a good understanding of your project. 800 characters is plenty of room to give a general overview, and then throw in a few sentences with more detail.