How strict are LOR Req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rolling_with_the_punches

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have a bit of pickle going on as I currently have 3 science LORs but zero non-science LORs... So far, two of my schools require 2 science and 1 non-science. How could I work around this?
Most of my classes in undergrad were science and wasn't exactly thinking at the time that I would need a non-science LOR? I figured 3 LORs from professors would cover most of the schools but I guess not?
 
i was in your same exact situation. i emailed one of professors from an online non science course and explained to them my situation and they helped me out with a letter
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is any one of the 3 not a "hard science"? Or like stats or a math class?
You can also email schools admissions individually.
I was a kind of non traditional (pharmacy major) so I used 2 science and a medical school professor PharmD who I did a rotation with, and schools ok'd the exception. It never hurts to ask.
If you've done research, see if they will accept a PI letter in lieu possibly

Also, if your app is really outstanding, they are unlikely to care about the missing non science. They won't turn away a great applicant bc of a letter
 
So I have a bit of pickle going on as I currently have 3 science LORs but zero non-science LORs... So far, two of my schools require 2 science and 1 non-science. How could I work around this?
Most of my classes in undergrad were science and wasn't exactly thinking at the time that I would need a non-science LOR? I figured 3 LORs from professors would cover most of the schools but I guess not?
I'm in the same situation, I have 2 science faculty, one PhD chem lab coordinator (both teacher and employer) one science PI and one work supervisor (ED Scribing). I got 5 and that is what I got, and I take their LOR as recommendations. We'll see if I get kicked out for not complying with the precise definitions. It is a bit harder when you go to a large State School!!
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know how strict some schools are on professor vs. lecturer? I have some lecturer LORs that I know are better than my professor ones...USC in particular asks for letters from professors