How strong of application do I have

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtongue_danger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hopeing you guy could give me advice as to what my chances are to getting into DO schools.
Sci GPA 3.56
Non- Sci 3.1
total GPA 3.4
I am going to take the Aug. Mcat and i have been getting an over all score of 27 on all my practice Mcats. I have done all the research and voluteer work and i have had a job my entire college life. What should I do? :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you score a 27 or above on your MCAT and apply to all DO schools imaginable, you should get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could take a couple classes that are non-science and bring the GPA up a little, but that really isn't a must. Just get your 27+ on your MCAT and you will probably be attending the DO school of your choice. That is if you have some decent EC to back your grades up with.

eh, your gpa will get you into a DO program.....I think you sound pretty solid. You would probably even get a few interviews at lower-tier allopathic schools, though I don't know that you'd get in. Apply broadly. :thumbup:

drtongue_danger said:
I have done all the research and voluteer work and i have had a job my entire college life. What should I do? :confused: :confused:

What does that mean "I have done all the research and voluteer work"
Be more specific

Also, you said you have had a job, but what really matters is how many hours a week do you work. I mean, most people work part time, but if you work full time or something, that may make a difference.

Anyway, if you have a lot of health care experience, you understand the DO philosophy, and you have a DO LOR, then I would think you would be fine as long as you do indeed get a 27+ on the MCAT. However, the late application is gonna hurt, too bad you did not take the MCAT in April. The way you said "I have done all the research and voluteer work" sounded like you are trying to adhere to some imaginary admissions formula, and the ADCOMs know the difference between real experience and resume boosters.

What does that mean "I have done all the research and voluteer work"
Be more specific

Also, you said you have had a job, but what really matters is how many hours a week do you work. I mean, most people work part time, but if you work full time or something, that may make a difference.

Anyway, if you have a lot of health care experience, you understand the DO philosophy, and you have a DO LOR, then I would think you would be fine as long as you do indeed get a 27+ on the MCAT. However, the late application is gonna hurt, too bad you did not take the MCAT in April. The way you said "I have done all the research and voluteer work" sounded like you are trying to adhere to some imaginary admissions formula, and the ADCOMs know the difference between real experience and resume boosters.

sorry i didn't mean to be nonspefic here is a short list of what i have done

I have worked 20-25 hours a week and some of the jobs that i have had are
Reading tutors for ESL students
Youth mentor
I have voluteered at one lab doing plant research
and i have worked in two other labs doing Phage-bact. work and Devlopment of Micro-ELISA mulplexed systems for Cancer and Cardiac biomarkers. (i.e. PSA levels AFP and Tropins T,I for Heart attack tests)
I also have my EMT-B I have voluteered at local ER and OR and free health clinics i have also worked as a Phlebotomist.

sounds pretty solid, good luck!!

crazy250 said:
you should bring up your gpa

Perhapes this is sarcasim, but if it isn't... There is nothing wrong with this poster's GPA. That will get him in DO or MD.

Get over a 22 on the MCAT and with everything else you have on your application you shouldn't have a problem getting in DO and MD depending on your MCAT. MD is "ususally" over 26 to have a better chance.