How to address failed grade on ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

applicantwithquestion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Figured this belonged in the ERAS forum and posted it there but I don't have the option to delete a thread. Maybe one of the moderators can remove this post?

I'm applying for psychiatry right now. Step 1 is 238, Step 2 grade is pending. Problem is, I failed two blocks in my preclinical years. I failed my very first block of medical school (along with about 20% of my class). I just hadn't properly adjusted to medical school studying and was completely out of depth during the first test (we have only one exam per block). I also failed my fifth block of medical school. We had a multiple choice and handwritten section. I aced the multiple choice but my handwriting has always been poor. I had to slow down considerably to write out answers and ended up failing that exam (and thus block).

Since then, my clinical grades have been average. No failures or anything remotely like that. My question is, how do I address this on my application? My school advised me to simply write, "Block 1 remediated successfully, Block 5 remediated successfully" on my MSPE but I feel that some more context would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.