How to address recently resigning from job in interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trilbrus7

Reaction score
I resigned from my full-time scribe job in December 2021. I have a few acceptances, so I've been in the process of making decisions about where to attend. I recently received an II for later this month. How should I discuss my recent job change?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bring it up all unless they specifically asked you about it. Even if you do discuss it, you can just frame it in whatever ways fit your circumstances while still remaining positive

Reactions: 1 user
I resigned from my full-time scribe job in December 2021. I have a few acceptances, so I've been in the process of making decisions about where to attend. I recently received an II for later this month. How should I discuss my recent job change?
Depends on the circumstances of your resignation.

If you quit because you were tired of scribing and didn't need to do it anymore, then just say that. If you quit to avoid being fired for being high on the job, then it may take a bit more thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you leave? What are you doing since December and what do you intend to do until you start med school?

Hi there, good question. Similar to other responses in this post, I would suggest not brining this up yourself. However, you should prepare an answer to it that is thoughtful and does not talk negatively about any co-workers or supervisors (if you left on difficult terms). It is best not to dodge the question if they do ask. Aim to be honest but also thankful for what you learned from this job. You could also talk about the things you were hoping to accomplish by resigning and having more time. If you have other, similar questions that ask about a difficult or negative experience, it is best to be honest about your role/actions in the situation and then focus on what you learned from the situation and how this experience has made you a better candidate. In sum, try to frame this as a positive learning experience.

I hope this helps,

Best of luck!