how to answ. "why do you want to do fp".?..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hashimoto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what;s the best way to answer this q. w/out sounding too cliche?...thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

hashimoto said:

I think it's great when people explain the time they decided that FP was for them. Talk about some of the experiences and thoughts that arose (whether before or during med school) that pushed you into that direction.

If you can describe the characteristics of the work you plan to do about a decade from now, that's also pretty genuine.

If it's individual and unique, it can't be cliche.... ;)

hashimoto said:

Easy...You want to get more than one half day a week in outpt so you can be really good at it since thats where primary care docs spend 90% of their time. Also you can train at great community programs where you don't get lost in the shuffle and politics of academic centers.

Members don't see this ad :)
hashimoto said:
i think the best way is your own unique self, and answer, and even if it sounds a little common, or cliche, thats ok, but jsut tell them why You like it particularly and thats the answer; remember there are a lot of similarities in why people like the specialty so you cant really avoid that.

I just keep finding myself loving every rotation...but not enough to do it full time. After seeing a few kids, I'm ready for a pregnant lady, or an old guy with a GI bleed. By the end of every rotation, I'm about to shoot myself if I see another pregnant lady, snotty kid, old person who is a train wreck, crazy person, etc. But by the next rotation I'm missing them again!

I also love clinic. I like rounding in the hospital, but I'm ready to get the heck out of there after an hour. I like short procedures, not long surgeries. I love talking to people, tossing around differentials in my head as they talk and I examine them.

And I like doing other stuff too. I like having a life and taking vacations and being non-medical as much as I like being medical.

That's a long answer, but it's how I've come to decide this is for me.

:)

sophiejane said:
I just keep finding myself loving every rotation...but not enough to do it full time. After seeing a few kids, I'm ready for a pregnant lady, or an old guy with a GI bleed. By the end of every rotation, I'm about to shoot myself if I see another pregnant lady, snotty kid, old person who is a train wreck, crazy person, etc. But by the next rotation I'm missing them again!

I also love clinic. I like rounding in the hospital, but I'm ready to get the heck out of there after an hour. I like short procedures, not long surgeries. I love talking to people, tossing around differentials in my head as they talk and I examine them.

And I like doing other stuff too. I like having a life and taking vacations and being non-medical as much as I like being medical.

That's a long answer, but it's how I've come to decide this is for me.

:)
sounds like you would like em too .....:)

emedpa said:
sounds like you would like em too .....:)

Yeah, that would probably be true if I didn't also really like continuity and preventive care...

There are many similarities between EM and FM...maybe that's why you EM folks like to hang out on this forum and vice versa.

But... (please no flames, we've been over this topic ad nauseum on other threads)... I'll probably end up covering the ER from time to time if I do rural medicine, simply by necessity.

But who knows where this journey will end up? I started out my working life as a musician, so anything is possible...!