How to answer "Tell me about yourself" question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CenteredDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, when the interviewer asks you that question, should you tell a little about your biography? or should you tell them about your characteristics?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its really open ended.... I say a little about both...

i usually give a very brief biography that isn't mentioned in amcas app but most of my answer focuses on my interest in medicine and activities that have reaffirmed my decision to become a doctor. i dont talk about my characteristics cause that seems like something a person who knows me would have a more accurate assessment(like my recommendation writers). i considered talking about interests outside of medicine and academics but that would have made my answer way too longwinded. interviewers usually ask a followup question based on something you mention in your answer so don't feel like you have say everything about yourself all at once.

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't be difficult to answer that question...say something about your life, and remember to say something that they will remember.

I would refrain from saying

"I was born and raised in Virginia, and early on I knew I wanted to go into medicine. When I was a teenager I started to understand, through project X and Y, that medicine was the career for me. I went to undergrad at Z, graduate with a.bc, had some wonder EC's in college."

Nothing really interesting about that.

Definitely try to tie in everything you say to your interests in medicine.

Oh man, those are awesome I've read them all some time ago.

"Chuck Norris is sueing NBC becuase he has trademarked Law and Order for his left and right leg."

I would admit any medical student if they replaced the name with "I".

The problem with that website is it continually fails to connect to the database...especially when you are rating all of the new factoids.