How to answer this ERAS question regarding anything that could limit med license or hosp privg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erasquestion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump. Someone reply please. Applications will be submitted soon.

Being arrested is nothing. Anyone can get arrested, and that doesn't prove guilt. The alcohol related motor vehicle event depends on what it was. Has ERAS changed? Last year they asked if you had any felonies, and any misdemeanors. If they still ask, I would list this as a misdemeanor and then answer this licensing question as no. That way, you've fully disclosed. This assumes that the EtOH issue was adjudicated as a misdemeanor, of course.

Last edited:
Eh. This is the 'good moral character" question. Answer all legal statues honestly, but here is the thing with this question. It is designed to be a catch-all, so that if some time in the future, it turns out that you are involved in a lawsuit, or criminal process that disrupts your training, the program could (theoretically) term you for violating NRMP if you don't answer this question truthfully. It's a common contractual clause that protects your future employer from surprises.

Wait, I am confused by this statement? Please elaborate further on how I would be violating NRMP and how I would not be answering the question truthfully by answering no, in regards to this question: "Is there anything in your past history that would limit your ability to be licensed or would limit your ability to receive hospital privileges".

I appreciate all the feedback. Applications go out soon, and I just want to do this right. I look forward to your replies. Thank you.
Whoa Holmes...slow your roll. @IMPD was speaking to the whys and wherefores of this kind of a question, not your situation specifically. If you proceed as aPD suggested, you'll be fine.

But I assume you can see how and why a program (and ERAS) would include this kind of question purely for liability reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Being arrested is nothing. Anyone can get arrested, and that doesn't prove guilt. The alcohol related motor vehicle event depends on what it was. Has ERAS changed? Last year they asked if you had any felonies, and any misdemeanors. If they still ask, I would list this as a misdemeanor and then answer this licensing question as no. That way, you've fully disclosed. This assumes that the EtOH issue was adjudicated as a misdemeanor, of course.

Wow! Seriously? In the UK an arrest is an instant fitness to practice referral that could end in you being struck off. I think guilt is assumed, well, certainly in non-Brits anyway.

Thanks aProg. The question,"Is there anything in your past history that would limit your ability to be licensed or would limit your ability to receive hospital privileges", has been on the application in previous years. I will list my alcohol related motor vehicle event that was a misdemeanor under the misdemeanor section. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I wanted to make sure before I answered it, because I do not want program directors to think I am hiding anything. I wasn't sure to answer yes or no to that question regarding if licensure or hospital privileges would be limited from anything in my past as I had that misdemanor motor vehicle incident many years ago, but now I know how to answer.

So... were you actually convicted of any misdemeanor? Or was it dropped?

Wow! Seriously? In the UK an arrest is an instant fitness to practice referral that could end in you being struck off. I think guilt is assumed, well, certainly in non-Brits anyway.
Arrest means nothing.

Now, if you're arrested for something, and say the penalty is a fine. If you pay the fine, that's an admission of guilt, and you're guilty of whatever. If you want it not to count, you have to fight it out in court. Few people have the time and the will to do that.