How to approach DAT destroyer problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grldent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so confuse about how to do destroyer questions. This my first time doing the destroyer and it seems like I know nothing. At almost every other question I say :eek:

Should I do one problem at a time and see if it is wrong or right and read more about it?
or
Do couple problems and than go back and check them?

Please share some strategies?????

Members don't see this ad.

I am so confuse about how to do destroyer questions. This my first time doing the destroyer and it seems like I know nothing. At almost every other question I say :eek:

Should I do one problem at a time and see if it is wrong or right and read more about it?
or
Do couple problems and than go back and check them?

Please share some strategies?????

I actually split the sections up into about 100 questions a day. Like this
Day 1: General chemistry 1-100
Day 2: General Chemistry 101-200
Day 3: General Chemistry 201-240 and Organic Chemistry 1-50
Day 4: Organic Chemistry 51-150
Day 5: Organic Chemistry 151-240

Just sit down and work out ALL the problems first. I used computer paper to do my work on, I advise you not to write in the book so if you go back through it, the work and answers will not be staring you down. Then go back and grade yourself (Do not be alarmed if you only get like 50-60% right the first time though, it happens to most people). After you grade all the questions go back through and rework all the problems and understand what you did wrong, and what the question is testing you over.

I found it easier to get the destroyer rebound into 2 books, 1 with solutions and the other with the problems, so you dont have to flip back and fourth. I took it to a copy place at my university that does binding too.

After you go through the destroyer once, go back though your study material and focus on the concepts you got wrong.

Then repeat it. Most people will say you want to go through the destroyer at least twice.

lol i got 10% correct or so on gen chem the first time. mind you i had watched chads already. make flash cards of everything you get wrong, all the details you dont understand, and all the concepts. 2 weeks later it will be a complete JOKE.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i got 10% correct or so on gen chem the first time. mind you i had watched chads already. make flash cards of everything you get wrong, all the details you dont understand, and all the concepts. 2 weeks later it will be a complete JOKE.

I've doing something similar -- making flashcards of everything I didn't know or need to know better. So far I've made over 600 flashcards already lol.

i basically did the same thing as flinn
i did 100 problems a day but after like 20-30 problems id stop and check my answers and then go over WHY i got the problems wrong, made flashcards . learned them and then moved onto the rest of my "100" problems that day. i feel like some of the concepts/question types are repeated in destroyer so i wanted to figure out my mistakes earlier, so i wouldnt mess up later similar problems.
and yea......flashcards are the way to go for probs u get wrong!! :thumbup:

I've doing something similar -- making flashcards of everything I didn't know or need to know better. So far I've made over 600 flashcards already lol.

i basically did the same thing as flinn
i did 100 problems a day but after like 20-30 problems id stop and check my answers and then go over WHY i got the problems wrong, made flashcards . learned them and then moved onto the rest of my "100" problems that day. i feel like some of the concepts/question types are repeated in destroyer so i wanted to figure out my mistakes earlier, so i wouldnt mess up later similar problems.
and yea......flashcards are the way to go for probs u get wrong!! :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Thanks to all of you for sharing your strategies....... okay flashcards it is for every wrong problem I get.........it seems like I will be making lot of flashcards.