how to approach dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumpads

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

I'm a foreign trained dentist. I have given part-1 and waiting for my result....mean time i thought i will talk to dentists if they will let me observe them as dentistry is very different from what we practiced n also it will be a good experience.

No one here wants some one watching over there shoulders....can anyone tell me a good way to approach.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that you were some sort of camoflouge to blend into the surroundings. Next, pick a spot where dentists are known to congregate such as an office complex or a medical building. Stay in the bushes. When you see one, stay upwind of him so he doesn't catch your scent. If you really don't want him to smell you, you have to put on a scent that is familiar to him such as alginate. If you see a group of dentists, you can see the complex social structure that dominates the lives of these magnificent creatures. Watch out for the alpha male...He is likely a practice owner and has several associate dentists in his clan. He will be very aggressive if he sees you. Be careful! Approach any dentist you see slowly and with caution. Try not to startle him, or he will run away.

adamlc18 said:
I recommend that you were some sort of camoflouge to blend into the surroundings. Next, pick a spot where dentists are known to congregate such as an office complex or a medical building. Stay in the bushes. When you see one, stay upwind of him so he doesn't catch your scent. If you really don't want him to smell you, you have to put on a scent that is familiar to him such as alginate. If you see a group of dentists, you can see the complex social structure that dominates the lives of these magnificent creatures. Watch out for the alpha male...He is likely a practice owner and has several associate dentists in his clan. He will be very aggressive if he sees you. Be careful! Approach any dentist you see slowly and with caution. Try not to startle him, or he will run away.

:laugh: ...scent of alginate :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
adamlc18 said:

HAHHAHHAHAHAAAAAHAHA,

I'd suggest trying to find a dentist of your nationality and see if he/she is willing to help you out.

I approached about 5 dentists prior to d-school and all of them were happy to allow me to shadow, so I'm guessing something is up in your case... perhaps the dentists you are asking are xenophobic and just feel uncomfortable around people who are not their skin color. Truth of the matter is, some people are still like that these days...

gumpads said:
hey,

I'm a foreign trained dentist. I have given part-1 and waiting for my result....mean time i thought i will talk to dentists if they will let me observe them as dentistry is very different from what we practiced n also it will be a good experience.

No one here wants some one watching over there shoulders....can anyone tell me a good way to approach.
thanks

It's normally easier to approach the omega male, the lowest of the dental office hierarchy. You can identify him by the sullen look and the fact that the other dentists refer to him as the "perio".