How to approach the question, have you ever matriculated into and not completed a professional/graduate program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad, former software engineer here. Several years ago, I matriculated into a computer science graduate program because I wanted to specialize my career in an area of focus. However, shortly after starting the program (first semester), I got a new job which was a significant promotion. My new role was very demanding and I decided to withdraw from one of the two courses I was taking, with the intent of retaking it later once I was more settled in the new role.

However, life happened, and I never went back to the program; I discovered an interest in medicine instead and decided to change careers.

Is this a good framework for the prompt? I want to make sure they're not going to think I lack commitment or that I'll just drop out of med school and do something else.

Any tips on how to approach this? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You got a demanding new job and didn’t have time for the program. Wouldn’t be a red flag for me.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Non-trad, former software engineer here. Several years ago, I matriculated into a computer science graduate program because I wanted to specialize my career in an area of focus. However, shortly after starting the program (first semester), I got a new job which was a significant promotion. My new role was very demanding and I decided to withdraw from one of the two courses I was taking, with the intent of retaking it later once I was more settled in the new role.

However, life happened, and I never went back to the program; I discovered an interest in medicine instead and decided to change careers.

Is this a good framework for the prompt? I want to make sure they're not going to think I lack commitment or that I'll just drop out of med school and do something else.

You tell the truth.

Reactions: 5 users

Is this a common question on the app? I have a patient who didn't complete a post bacc due to failing out but hasn't told me of this question