how to ask for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some insight on how to ask my proffesors for LORs? I've procrastinated and am nervous about how to ask. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I was too. Still need to get one more myself!

E-mail works pretty good for non-science profs (tend to check their e-mail).

E-mail works lousy for science profs ('specially if they're a PI or something, they get flooded with messages). Best to ask them after class.

Just be straightforward about it, and *offer an out*. Something like, "Would it be possible to get a letter of recommendation from you?" If they say no, just remember that no LOR's probably better than a bleh one.

You should be fine.

This probably sounds incredibly stupid, but who do they address it to? As in ...admissions committee or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your school should have a Pre-Health committee.

So, I just had my recs sent to the Recommendation Service that my school runs.

If your school does not have one, it gets complicated. Definitely make sure you know where it should be sent before you ask.

This is something I was told about asking for recommendation letters.

Ask a professor that knows you and that you get along with, but when you ask him/her, look them straight in the eye and say, "would you be willing to write me a good letter of recommendation?"

If they flinch, blink, or falter, ask someone else. As has already been stated, a bleh letter can be worse than no letter at all.

As for where to send them... I got the addresses from the schools to which I was applying and provided the professor with a pre-addressed stamped envelope. Call the schools or look on the web pages for information.

My problem is that the prof. that I want to ask is retiring at the end of this semester (this Friday); which means that I haven't opened an AMCAS app yet (not til March). My school does not have a pre-health committee. They all have to write them individually. Since I don't have an app open yet, I can't have him send them directly. My pre-med advisor said she would hold them for me, but then I still face the problem of telling my professor who to address in the letter. To whom it may concern:
With whom is he speaking when he writes the letter? My advisor will mail them for me when apps open. I suppose I could ask to contact him in March, but who knows if he'll want to be bothered with writing a rec 3 mos after retirement.:confused:

I think it's tacky to ask over e-mail. I asked to have an appointment during office hours with my professors to discuss my future plans, my work in their class, etc etc. Then, at the meeting, I brought up the recommendation. Some professors already knew before I got there what I wanted, and flat out asked when I would need it by (with a smile on their faces, knowing I was nervous about asking).

I think some important things to do are-- when you're actually asking the professor (face to face)-- have a copy of your resume and a document describing what you've done relating to medicine during your undergraduate years, what you are interested in doing in the future, and some important points about your determination, work ethic, etc that you'd like the professor to get across in his/her recommendation. Also, offer to meet with the prof in the future so he/she can go over any questions they might have about you or just so you can get to know each other better.

Also- there's a GREAT sample letter on one of the pre-med diaries on this site for asking for a recommendation.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by Amxcvbcv
This is something I was told about asking for recommendation letters.

Ask a professor that knows you and that you get along with, but when you ask him/her, look them straight in the eye and say, "would you be willing to write me a good letter of recommendation?"

If they flinch, blink, or falter, ask someone else. As has already been stated, a bleh letter can be worse than no letter at all.

As for where to send them... I got the addresses from the schools to which I was applying and provided the professor with a pre-addressed stamped envelope. Call the schools or look on the web pages for information.

That's ecatly the advice I was looking for. Being direct is the best way to go.

Good advice, Sarah.

I used e-mail to get one rec because the professor I asked was only on campus once a week and didn't have office hours.

The other I asked for after class. Probably better to do the face-to-face thing.

KHep, have you asked your premed advisor where you should send them? If she is keeping them for you, does that mean that she wants them sent to her? The irritating part about getting LORs without a credentials service is that you need multiple copies of each LOR to send out.

Also, I think there are some companies that keep recommendations on file for you; maybe look online. Let your advisor know what's going on either way.

Although face to face is always better, I would feel as if I'm wasting their time if I scheduled an appointment just to ask them a simple question.

So those I saw on a regular basis I asked face-to-face, and those who I didn't, I just e-mailed. Of course this was the semester when I was taking three labs, so I barely had any free time during typical office hours.

Just be polite and be sure to give them an easy out. Oh, and make sure you fulfill any standards they set. For example, my orgo prof only writes recs for people who got an A or A- in his class.

I haven't asked my Pre-med advisor, because I honestly doubt that she would know. She has only recently taken over her position and is learning about the process herself. I've done the majority of research into this process myself. Which is fine. It just becomes difficult in a situation such as this. I could simply not ask this prof., but I think he would writhe me a very strong rec. I got out of his Bio class with the top grade over all of the sections, participated on a regular basis, and saw him during his office hours on several occasion regarding an eight week lab and its write up. I will check in with my advisor. I appreciate everyone's feedback! You guys have been great.