How to ask to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nohika

lurker status
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To decide where to start...

Okay. I'm somewhat a shy human being - I've never held down a job before besides the one I have now (part-time), and it (literally) fell in my lap as I was asked to do it and needed nothing beyond saying yes. So I have no idea how to go about getting a job or shadowing in "the real world". (...okay, plus, I admit, I'm terrified.)

So...to ask, how do I start asking them to shadow, or even volunteer? Do I send resumes, call, email...? There's only three clinics within walking distance (unfortunately, I can't drive), and I live in the North West (Washington), so, uh, keeping dry the whole walk (shortest is 45 minutes, longest is probably an hour and a half walk) is a challenge.

Tips would be loved. :love: Or advice or anything of the sort. I contacted a human hospital (I was considering nursing as well) but they're not allowing shadows due to the H1N1 - I'm afraid that may hit veterinary hospitals too in the future if there shows a risk of transmission between people and pets.

Anyways, thanks in advance! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Make yourself a resume. Nothing too fancy, just make sure it includes your address (email and cell phone too!), education, previous jobs, skills, and accomplishments. It is a good idea to also include a little objective statement at the top, what you hope to gain by working at their clinic/hospital.

Once you have your resume set up, take it down to the clinics/hospitals you'd like to work at. You don't have to dress super fancy or business like, maybe just a pair of jeans and a nice top. Ask the receptionist if you can speak to one of the vets on staff (or the vet if there is only at the clinic) and just politely ask if they have any positions available for vet assistants/ or are taking any students to shadow. If they do, give them your resume and explain to them you are a student interested in pursuing vet med. If everyone is busy, just ask to leave your resume at the front desk.

They could hire you on the spot or ask for an interview if they have something available. Be prepared for both!

Most vets are really kind about this, since they were once in your same exact position. Best of luck to you! :)

Oh and if you do get hired, make sure you get one or two sets of scrubs, you'll need them!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a family vet that you take your own pets to?

I asked my veterinarian during a visit one time whether he ever allowed veterinary students/potential veterinary students to shadow. He told me he was very open to the idea and asked if I was inquiring because I was considering going to vet school myself. Basically right then and there he told me his schedule (what days he is in surgery, what days are out patient days) and he said I was welcome and just to let him know a day or two before I wanted to start coming in. I've been shadowing there for over a year now, once or twice a week, about 40 hours a month.

It is unfortunate you do not drive, I guess I would suggest to start with the closest vet clinic, since a 45 min walk is nothing to sneeze at, especially since we're going into winter, and at the end of the day you'll prob be walking home in the dark.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a family vet that you take your own pets to?

I asked my veterinarian during a visit one time whether he ever allowed veterinary students/potential veterinary students to shadow. He told me he was very open to the idea and asked if I was inquiring because I was considering going to vet school myself. Basically right then and there he told me his schedule (what days he is in surgery, what days are out patient days) and he said I was welcome and just to let him know a day or two before I wanted to start coming in. I've been shadowing there for over a year now, once or twice a week, about 40 hours a month.

It is unfortunate you do not drive, I guess I would suggest to start with the closest vet clinic, since a 45 min walk is nothing to sneeze at, especially since we're going into winter, and at the end of the day you'll prob be walking home in the dark.

good luck!

I do have a family vet (she's one of the three within range), and she's actually the owner (with her husband) of the practice. I just almost feel like a bother asking her again, since she was reluctant to let me shadow the first time I did so about 16 months ago for a senior project. Ugh, I'm so nervous, haha! :laugh:

I was tempted to ask her when we were there last week, but my mother was an emotional wreck (and she's completely against me doing vetmed) so I figured it was a bad time to ask.

I really hope to get my license over Christmas break, since my college gets done the first week of December - so that'd make shadowing easier.

Thank you guys both for your advice! I'll try to get my resume done by the end of Wednesday, and maybe wander out Friday afternoon!

Any other tips are appreciated too! :love:

Get a bicycle with good fenders so you can expand your range! ;)

As for talking to vet offices, I know it's hard but don't be afraid to just be honest. Try to go when it isn't busy. I know this will be difficult if you have to plan it out and walk there, maybe calling first would be good - the receptionists will appreciate your consideration too. Talk to a free receptionist when you get there, be friendly and ask who you should talk to about volunteering/shadowing or whatever.

Say you're considering applying to vet school and want to get a good idea of what the field's like. Tell them you have a little bit of experience shadowing, but want to see more (if it's with the vet that you already shadowed this is obviously not necessary). The resume idea is a good one, and a nice cover letter never hurts to make it a little more personalized too. Definitely in person, though. IMO it's easier to blow off phone calls and email. You can call or email first to get an idea, but the odds aren't great of you standing out if you don't show up.

Just my two cents on what would make someone stand out to me..

Get a bicycle with good fenders so you can expand your range! ;)

As for talking to vet offices, I know it's hard but don't be afraid to just be honest. Try to go when it isn't busy. I know this will be difficult if you have to plan it out and walk there, maybe calling first would be good - the receptionists will appreciate your consideration too. Talk to a free receptionist when you get there, be friendly and ask who you should talk to about volunteering/shadowing or whatever.

Say you're considering applying to vet school and want to get a good idea of what the field's like. Tell them you have a little bit of experience shadowing, but want to see more (if it's with the vet that you already shadowed this is obviously not necessary). The resume idea is a good one, and a nice cover letter never hurts to make it a little more personalized too. Definitely in person, though. IMO it's easier to blow off phone calls and email. You can call or email first to get an idea, but the odds aren't great of you standing out if you don't show up.

Just my two cents on what would make someone stand out to me..

As a technician who's been covering shifts in reception in a vet hospital for a while, let me just tell you a pet peeve about people coming in to ask about jobs...
If you see that there is a roomful of clients waiting, people trying to check out and in, and the phone ringing off the hook, DONT hang out at the counter... Step aside, be patient, and wait until the poor lonely receptionist has a breather! Always let the clients go first, and if the phone rings, make sure the receptionist knows that you don't mind waiting if she has to answer it! (I hate when people keep talking as I go to pick up the phone...)

Believe me, it comes across so much more nicely than people trying to shove resumes in my face and explain their skills to me while I'm juggling six phone lines, three doctors and a half dozen clients and barking dogs!

Good luck, just take a deep breath, smile, and be polite/patient.

As a technician who's been covering shifts in reception in a vet hospital for a while, let me just tell you a pet peeve about people coming in to ask about jobs...
If you see that there is a roomful of clients waiting, people trying to check out and in, and the phone ringing off the hook, DONT hang out at the counter... Step aside, be patient, and wait until the poor lonely receptionist has a breather! Always let the clients go first, and if the phone rings, make sure the receptionist knows that you don't mind waiting if she has to answer it! (I hate when people keep talking as I go to pick up the phone...)

Believe me, it comes across so much more nicely than people trying to shove resumes in my face and explain their skills to me while I'm juggling six phone lines, three doctors and a half dozen clients and barking dogs!

Good luck, just take a deep breath, smile, and be polite/patient.

:thumbup:

^ What they all said, with one addition: I really, really recommend dressing in a professional manner when you go to hand out resumes, even just for shadowing. A suit isn't necessary -- business casual/khakis are fine. I been on the receiving end of quite a few resumes while manning the desk at my clinic, and the way you present yourself is the biggest factor in whether your resume will be read and considered or immediately filed or recycled.

from experiance: dont wear nice clothes, I applied at my local spca for a kennel tech position(they had an add on craigslist), I had just come from my current job as a receptionist at a hairsalon, so i was well dressed. The girl eyeballed me, then said the position had already been filled. A day later they reposted the craigslist add.

My current job, at a vet clinic, i came in looking to volunteer, she hired me instead. i was wearing clean(not fancy) jeans and a t shirt.

i can totally relate to mom troubles. mine is always trying to control my life. she thinks i shouldn't have a job until i move out. (how am i to move out if i dont have any damn money) I still dont have my own car because, she dosnt want to take the time to help me find one. its hard when your to poor to leave, and shes helping to keep you that way. at least i can drive though! some freedom!:laugh:

from experiance: dont wear nice clothes, I applied at my local spca for a kennel tech position(they had an add on craigslist), I had just come from my current job as a receptionist at a hairsalon, so i was well dressed. The girl eyeballed me, then said the position had already been filled. A day later they reposted the craigslist add.

My current job, at a vet clinic, i came in looking to volunteer, she hired me instead. i was wearing clean(not fancy) jeans and a t shirt.

i can totally relate to mom troubles. mine is always trying to control my life. she thinks i shouldn't have a job until i move out. (how am i to move out if i dont have any damn money) I still dont have my own car because, she dosnt want to take the time to help me find one. its hard when your to poor to leave, and shes helping to keep you that way. at least i can drive though! some freedom!:laugh:

I have to completely disagree about not dressing up. Even if you're going to be getting all kinds of bodily fluids on you during the time you're working or volunteering, first impressions are the ones that last. Now, if you come in wearing 4 inch heels, caked on make-up, and expensive looking jewelry I can see that as a way to be judged immediately as someone who is too high-maintenance for the job.

I know that it can be scary to go around and try to find a place that is willing to let you learn, but you have to remember that the vets were once in your position. Not all of them will remember this and some will turn you away, but don't let that get you down and discourage you. I got my first vet tech job because my mom worked with a woman who's sister-in-law was a vet. I volunteered for a school break and was hired when I came back the next break. Once you get your foot in the door and have some hands-on experience it is much more likely that you'll be able to find another place to work.

Keep your chin up! Work on the shyness factor too, the more comfortable you are talking to strangers the easier you will find vet school interviews when you get them and the easier your future career will be. There are very few professions where you don't talk to new people every day.