How to avoid gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnwickk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started my masters program in January of 2017, i will be writing my DAT this august. So far my masters GPA consists of 2 As 1 B and 1 W. I am applying to all private schools this summer including Tufts, NYU, BostonU, Touro, and a few more. Will these schools wait till i am finished my 2nd semester of my masters program in december? or will they make a decision entirely on what i have completed so far, ie my undergrad GPA and my graduate GPA (which only consists of 8 credits)
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I have a similar question. I have a biology degree 3.4 GPA but 2 gap years with no shadowing....Can I still get in with good DAT scores?

No, you need shadowing because you will need a LOR from a dentist and you have to show you have some exposure to dentistry.
Would shadowing a dentist now, getting a LOR and getting like a 22 on the DAT help? I know I can do well on the DAT its just my resume I am worried about

Members don't see this ad :)
Would shadowing a dentist now, getting a LOR and getting like a 22 on the DAT help? I know I can do well on the DAT its just my resume I am worried about
you have to start shadowing immediately, how do you know you want to be a dentist without shadowing?

Honestly, the most important thing is your scores first, then the shadowing and volunteering come after that, talk to a dentist or a bunch of them schedule an appointment to shadowing them once a week during you preparation time for the dat
take the dat, then shadow more dentists.
You can update schools of these new hours after you submit the application.
But without good DAT, you can't just hope for the best.
So, yeah no need to waste time in what if, and maybe, and wish I did.
Do it.

I started my masters program in January of 2017, i will be writing my DAT this august. So far my masters GPA consists of 2 As 1 B and 1 W. I am applying to all private schools this summer including Tufts, NYU, BostonU, Touro, and a few more. Will these schools wait till i am finished my 2nd semester of my masters program in december? or will they make a decision entirely on what i have completed so far, ie my undergrad GPA and my graduate GPA (which only consists of 8 credits)
Thank you
Bump