How to balance post-bac pre-reqs and work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

laviedevote

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 25 year old with a degree in Information Technology. I'm currently working, and I want to go back to school to begin the med school pre-reqs and fulfill my ambition of becoming a physician.

I'm in no hurry to do this as I'm still relatively young. Taking the pre-reqs part time, I could finish them in about 2/2.5 years, but my main worry is how to balance them with full time work. How do I convince my employer to give me a TR or MW off so that I can do them? How do I approach the employer? Any advice from those who've been there?
 
I've been taking pre reqs and working part time for a year now. I've been in research and clinical / hospital work during that time so my managers are super flexible with keeping me on schedules that accomplish both.

I was upfront and honest about my long term life goals in medicine and they were glad I had ambition and were happy to help me make workable schedules. Ive recently decided I want to put more time into school than my job permits stress-wise, so I'm leaving soon. I'm financially supported so that does not affect my decision as it may affect yours.

I would be upfront with your boss about your plan, be candid and sincere. If money isn't why you're staying on, I might seriously consider whether you really need to do both. You only have one shot at a great gpa if you're applying md, so make it count!
 
I don't have the luxury of flexibility when it comes to my job. I work full time and take two courses a quarter. I normally wake up at 4/5am and study until 7/7:30, then I get ready for work. I wake up at 4 normally when I have a midterm/final or I have a social event I really want to do. This works quite well for me and I've been doing great! I don't generally study when I get home from work, unless I have an exam.

I find that I function much better in the morning and retain way more information than when I study at night, which is why I made the switch. Hope it helps!