How to balance work and study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxGluteus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, first time poster here, looking for some advice on how to effectively balance a full-time job and DAT studying.

So I recently started a new full time job at a software company. My work day goes from 9am-5:30pm, with a one hour commute each way. Essentially, my work day + commute goes from 8:45am-6:30pm, and that leaves me very little time to study for the DAT.

I'm sure someone out there has been in my situation, and I would love for any tips that person can provide!

Some more background about my DAT progress:
I've been studying since ~September, and am currently finishing my first run-through of Destroyer. My previous practice test was a 17 (2 months ago, so should be better by now). I am aiming for a >22 to balance my mediocre GPA.
I focus best in the mornings, so I usually try to squeeze in 1.5 hrs of Destroyer before work. After work my brain is so fried that even if I try, I can't seem to get quality work done.
Weekends are the best study time for me. I try to get at least 6 hours, but my attention and focus really starts to wane after that. I know some of you guys study for 8+ hours straight... How do you do that??

Oh, and I try to get 3hrs of gym time throughout the week to keep healthy and sane.

If anyone any solid tips or routines, it would be much appreciated!
Please let me know if you want any more additional info, you guys are a huge inspiration!

Members don't see this ad.

Get MCAT Audio Osmosis and listen to it during commuting time and at the gym. Trust me, it really helps. just listen to it over and over until you memorize everything. Also, if you have any condensed notes (like Feralis's notes), you can use text to speech feature to study while you drive. Good luck

Get MCAT Audio Osmosis and listen to it during commuting time and at the gym. Trust me, it really helps. just listen to it over and over until you memorize everything. Also, if you have any condensed notes (like Feralis's notes), you can use text to speech feature to study while you drive. Good luck

I completely second this. Although I had a 20 hr/ week job and volunteering, I was spending at 1 - 1.5 hr commuting. I did a lot of biology with mcat audio osmosis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response Kevlar. What's this text-to-speech feature that you speak of?

I use mac and basically you highlight whatever you want the computer to read, you can customize the voice, speed…etc. Just google it, I'm sure it'll show up.

Hi SDN, first time poster here, looking for some advice on how to effectively balance a full-time job and DAT studying.

So I recently started a new full time job at a software company. My work day goes from 9am-5:30pm, with a one hour commute each way. Essentially, my work day + commute goes from 8:45am-6:30pm, and that leaves me very little time to study for the DAT.

I'm sure someone out there has been in my situation, and I would love for any tips that person can provide!

Some more background about my DAT progress:
I've been studying since ~September, and am currently finishing my first run-through of Destroyer. My previous practice test was a 17 (2 months ago, so should be better by now). I am aiming for a >22 to balance my mediocre GPA.
I focus best in the mornings, so I usually try to squeeze in 1.5 hrs of Destroyer before work. After work my brain is so fried that even if I try, I can't seem to get quality work done.
Weekends are the best study time for me. I try to get at least 6 hours, but my attention and focus really starts to wane after that. I know some of you guys study for 8+ hours straight... How do you do that??

Oh, and I try to get 3hrs of gym time throughout the week to keep healthy and sane.

If anyone any solid tips or routines, it would be much appreciated!
Please let me know if you want any more additional info, you guys are a huge inspiration!

Do 2 hours per day, 4times per week. Do 8-10 hours on weekends. Weekdays, do 1 PAT section each night at least or practice a reading comp. Read biology in week days and do the hard chemistry on weekends. Bio and PAT requires no logical thinking. It's just practice and training your eye. Bio is rote memorization with no thinking. Do it for 2 months you should be fine. Anything over that is overkill and you will lose info as you drag it on and on. I got a 21 overall with weak spots in bio and math, they were 19s.

Reactions: 1 user
You can look at flashcards during lunch break and before you start the working day. After work and on weekends do more heavy studying and make more flash cards. A bit at a time and you will get there. Good luck.