How to become a competitive peds endo applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragoonsers

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a peds resident at a middle-tier program. I want to apply for peds endo for the fellowship match next year. I'm in my second year of residency. I have a completed a case series, and a systematic lit review. Just started a research project but that will take time.

I have ~7 months till applications open. I am interested in doing an MPH with the fellowship as some programs offer that, but they are the big-top-tier places. What can I do to improve my application? Each sub-specialty is different, so if anyone is a peds endo fellow, I'd really appreciate the input!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Be alive?

For real, peds endo is not competitive at all (like most of the non-critical care/ED/heme-onc peds specialities). You've already got research under your belt which is more than some of the applicants will be able to say. There are currently 0.7 applicants per position and 29 programs went unfilled last year. https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Results-and-Data-SMS-2018.pdf

If you have elective time and want to go through the hassle, if there's 1-2 programs you really want to try to get to you could do an away elective there to get a feel for it and build up some contacts. I think you'll find that places will be courting you a lot more than you courting them though in that field.

Be alive?

For real, peds endo is not competitive at all (like most of the non-critical care/ED/heme-onc peds specialities). You've already got research under your belt which is more than some of the applicants will be able to say. There are currently 0.7 applicants per position and 29 programs went

If you have elective time and want to go through the hassle, if there's 1-2 programs you really want to try to get to you could do an away elective there to get a feel for it and build up some contacts. I think you'll find that places will be courting you a lot more than you courting them though in that field.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I have heard and read like you pointed out that Peds endo isn’t as competitive. Positions do go unfilled each year. Since I want to apply for the top tier places (CHoP Boston Texas Children’s) since they have MPH / Masters program, I assume they would be competitive vs other places. Apart from research, is there anything else I can do?

Members don't see this ad :)
CHOP didn’t fill in the match last year. When I interviewed at TCH, they kept making contingencies about what they would do if they didn’t fill. You have more research experience than I did, and I got interviews at 7/9 places I applied to (the two places that didn’t interview me didn’t fill). You’ll be fine.

Be alive and be a good resident, and you will be completely fine.

I had a friend who matched at a very big program and one of the top children hospitals (one like the ones you mentioned), that friend is an IMG, mediocre residency program and did not do significant research. I mean he was a very good resident, and thats about it.

I wouldn't waste your time on planning an away rotation. Given the lack of competition, only has the possibility of hurting you.

The best things to do right now are continuing to excel as a resident, make sure your endocrine attendings know you are interested in an endo fellowship, and develop relationships with them so that they are willing to go to bat for you with their connections. Peds endo is a small enough field that there may be some surprising relationships that you can use to your advantage.

Thank you guys for the encouragement! I do understand the connection part, and I cannot do away rotations.

I know peds endo does go unfilled but since I want to aim for the 'competitive' places as they have MPH programs, I was getting a little anxious!

Your application sounds completely fine and you have much more research than I did and I got interviews at all the top programs and matched at one. But one thing to consider is presenting your research at one of the endocrine meetings this year. For instance, PES is still accepting abstracts. Going to a meeting can be a great way to meet people from programs you are interested in and starting networking. Plus it is a fun excuse to travel and learn about endocrine. Even if you aren't able to present, just going to the conference can be useful. This absolutely isn't necessary and you definitely don't need to do this if you can't get the time off or afford to go, but something to think about

Your application sounds completely fine and you have much more research than I did and I got interviews at all the top programs and matched at one. But one thing to consider is presenting your research at one of the endocrine meetings this year. For instance, PES is still accepting abstracts. Going to a meeting can be a great way to meet people from programs you are interested in and starting networking. Plus it is a fun excuse to travel and learn about endocrine. Even if you aren't able to present, just going to the conference can be useful. This absolutely isn't necessary and you definitely don't need to do this if you can't get the time off or afford to go, but something to think about

To tag off this--if you don't have something specific to endocrine, PES is the same conference as PAS, so you can submit an abstract to PAS and still go to all the endocrine activities there. They have several special interest groups that you can sit in on the meetings of.

Might not be as applicable for you if you're doing endo research, but might be useful for someone else to know.

Have a heartbeat. Graduate residency.