How to become a rxm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxRetailRx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read couple of posts who get rxm offers , Just wondered, before you receive an offer, did you express your concern to you DM or just wait your DM to promote you ? How much chance a staff RPh become Rxm at your own store ? Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Oh dear, this just hurts me deep down inside.

To address your question though: if you work for a big chain just mention it to your district manager next time you see them. They are usually looking for fresh meat and making a new grad a PIC is rather commonplace. The reason, of course, is that most seasoned pharmacists don’t want to be PIC. My personal advice would be this: be a pharmacist for a while then evaluate whether or not you want to be a manager.

Reactions: 1 users
My situation is I am a staff rph, now my rxm is leaving , Shouldn’t I be given first right of refusal before bring anyone in from outside?

Members don't see this ad :)
Another possibility is they think you can't hack it

Why do you want the extra responsibility for a few thousand extra dollars a year? You have to be on every conference call, go to every in person meeting, deal with annoying regulatory nonsense, etc. I've been asked to do it twice and I just chuckled at it.

Usually, you will get the offer:
1. You mention it to your boss you want to be a manager and you are competent
2. They are desperate
3. No one better than you that wants it also

Any of the above will get you to be manager. Now, you should already know the position you are in thru the grapevine gossip.

Being a manager will net you, maybe $0.5-3 extra, a bigger bonus (sometimes none), and ability to control daily operation more. All the state regulations, metrics and complaints go to you however...

#notforme
#notenoughmoneylmao

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, that's a change from when I started. Being involuntarily named the PIC was kind of a thing. As above, however, you should make sure you do not have a mobility agreement required (Walgreens used to do this). Mobility agreements are ones where the company basically tells you, you have to move to this store, because we say so.

To give you an example of that kind of a situation, the RxM at the Sun City Walgreens (813) was reassigned across town to Mesa at Dobson and Warner (right after that trigger-happy cop shot the lady in the drive-thru), because she had signed a mobility agreement for $110k over two years. We all laughed so hard at her greed when she had to commute from Bumstead in El Mirage over the two worst freeways in Phoenix (40 miles urban traffic in 1 hour under no traffic, 2.5 hours under normal traffic for shift times). That trick works once, no one signed a mobility agreement after that stunt.

OP, like others have said, 99% of pharmacists don't want to be a manager, so if you want to be a manager, let your DM know and you will quickly have a store. Especially considering that 75% of the pharmacists who do want to manage, know absolutely nothing about managing.

My situation is I am a staff rph, now my rxm is leaving , Shouldn’t I be given first right of refusal before bring anyone in from outside?

This probably won't happen. 1) from what I've heard, most chains will not promote in the store (because they think the pharmacist will have been to buddy-buddy with the rest of the employees and won't be able to manage effectively.) 2) if you actually want to be manager in your store, that means you have a good store, which means there will be managers in your district that want that store, and since they already have managerial experience, they will get your store. (and you will be offered the crappiest store in the district, since you don't have managerial experience, and have to work up from there.....maybe even eventually back to your original store.) 3) even if the first 2 conditions aren't true in your district, then you would still be started out at the slowest store in your district (since again, you have no managerial experience), and it's unlikely that your current store is the slowest store in your district.

That's your right? lol. You should totally say this to your DM next thing you see him...word for word.

Reactions: 1 user