How to begin a research project!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

09javcar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question. :( So, I hear everyone on here having done research with someone before even applying for Med-School. How do the do this? Do they ask a professor or something? I go to a community college and will only be there for a year to a year and a half more. What do I do? Any ideas/suggestions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, most people contact a professor and ask if they would be willing to let you take part in research with them. Typically you will do it under their guidance and work most closely with a graduate student.

I don't know what community colleges are like, but many universities have faculty profiles that have the professor's info and research abstract. So you look through those, find some that interest you and contact them from there...

Well, first you're going to need to find yourself a body, or failing that, a whole bunch of frogs...

Nah, above poster is spot-on. Make friends with a professor. Also the way you go about getting letters of rec, so double-bonus!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this is a dumb question. :( So, I hear everyone on here having done research with someone before even applying for Med-School. How do the do this? Do they ask a professor or something? I go to a community college and will only be there for a year to a year and a half more. What do I do? Any ideas/suggestions. Thanks.

Don't worry about this until you're at a 4 year institution. Are you a science major? I know the biochem listserv at my school sent out regular emails for different labs looking for undergrads. You may or may not start off as a dishwasher. If you have a great work ethic you'll probably move up.

Others have suggested chatting up the professor of a class you're taking. That works, but I was always too intimidated to do so in a giant pre-med class.

Another option is combing your college's faculty pages and picking some research areas you find interesting. Write a really nice email specific to the PI's (principal investigator, the leading researcher) field, you're looking for an opportunity to be a undergrad research assistant, etc. Don't get offended or discouraged if s/he doesn't reply.

Don't get hung up on getting into medical research. You may discover some unknown passion for crystallizing protein, or chloroplast-tethered proteins, or anything else :)

One last thought: If you can avoid it, don't do research for credit unless you have to fulfill a requirement. You are paying to work in this situation.

Edit: I lied, another thought. If you DO get your foot in the door and get a job somewhere, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE show up on time and be enthusiastic about your job. I've seen a lot of undergrads come and go who could not treat the job seriously or be grateful for the opportunity.

Ok thanks everyone, very helpful information..

My freshman year, I went the the neuroscience department and knocked on doors. The first prof basically talked above my head and I quickly got bored. The second prof listened more and tried to get me to understand, then explained how I could help out.

I stopped knocking on doors after that.

This isn't exactly the best approach but it was how I did it. It's more important you find something you care about. Keep in mind this might not work too well at a top-tier school. I once talked to a biology prof from Cornell and he said undergrads were banging at the door and he rejected most of them.

He worked with plants.

My freshman year, I went the the neuroscience department and knocked on doors. The first prof basically talked above my head and I quickly got bored. The second prof listened more and tried to get me to understand, then explained how I could help out.

I stopped knocking on doors after that.

This isn't exactly the best approach but it was how I did it. It's more important you find something you care about. Keep in mind this might not work too well at a top-tier school. I once talked to a biology prof from Cornell and he said undergrads were banging at the door and he rejected most of them.

He worked with plants.

Oh, okay. I have a question. What about at a hospital or research lab anywhere? Do they allow science major students to help out in any way or form?

Oh, okay. I have a question. What about at a hospital or research lab anywhere? Do they allow science major students to help out in any way or form?

Just curious, are you asking about private/industry labs?

Just curious, are you asking about private/industry labs?

I suppose, to some extent, yes. I've seen HS students being offered positions at local research laboratories right after high school and while attending college. :eek: I know this might sound ridiculous but it's true. They completed a 2 year Biotechnology program at my high school. Hmmmm, They offer such a program at my College, should I take it, might it open up possibilities?

In my mind it is all about finding the right PI who supports you and wants to mentor you as an undergraduate researcher. When deciding which professor or scientist to approach, focus on their qualities as a mentor rather then their research focus.

I bounced around a few labs before ending up in my current lab with my amazing PI. She does primarily diabetes research but has allowed me to branch off into a cancer study in her laboratory. So I waited until I found somebody who actually liked having undergrads in her lab, and actually did end up with my research focus of preference. Its a win, win!

Best of luck! And don't get discouraged!

In my mind it is all about finding the right PI who supports you and wants to mentor you as an undergraduate researcher. When deciding which professor or scientist to approach, focus on their qualities as a mentor rather then their research focus.

I bounced around a few labs before ending up in my current lab with my amazing PI. She does primarily diabetes research but has allowed me to branch off into a cancer study in her laboratory. So I waited until I found somebody who actually liked having undergrads in her lab, and actually did end up with my research focus of preference. Its a win, win!

Best of luck! And don't get discouraged!

Thank you and will do. Congrats on finding someone to go out of their way to help you. Wish the best of luck. :thumbup:

Thank you and will do. Congrats on finding someone to go out of their way to help you. Wish the best of luck. :thumbup:

Also to the OP, if you are in high school don't let this deter you from starting. I knew a girl who worked in a research lab from the time she was 15!

a neonatologist is letting me come up with my own research project and is going to help me along the way--case in point is that ask some doctors if they are willing to help you with research...a lab setting isn't for everyone.

Also to the OP, if you are in high school don't let this deter you from starting. I knew a girl who worked in a research lab from the time she was 15!

No Im already in College, it wont I enjoy lab work. XP

a neonatologist is letting me come up with my own research project and is going to help me along the way--case in point is that ask some doctors if they are willing to help you with research...a lab setting isn't for everyone.

That's cool. I have a School Biotechnology teacher, if she is willing to do a research project with me, is that fine?

You might want to ask a professor that you already know and seem to be interested in this work. Research requires some knowledge and lots of maturity. While many pre-meds have the former, they often lack the latter.