How To Best Use Ek Audio Osmosis...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just got my hands on audio osmosis CDs and as I am going through the EK books for a second time I thought I would give them a shot. But what I was wondering is how everyone uses them? Do you take notes, sit in a chair and listen, kinda follow along in EK book or what? What has everyone found to be the most effective? thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

jsol said:
Ok so I just got my hands on audio osmosis CDs and as I am going through the EK books for a second time I thought I would give them a shot. But what I was wondering is how everyone uses them? Do you take notes, sit in a chair and listen, kinda follow along in EK book or what? What has everyone found to be the most effective? thanks for the help.

I took notes the first time I listened to them, especially for O chem and for any of their reminders of "MCAT favorites". Once I was through the material of the books I used them to help solidify what I had read. Sometimes I do look through the books while I am listening to them to help with explanations of graphs ( not my strong suit). Otherwise I use them when I am feeling too burnt out to read.

I think the begin of the cd has a "How to use these CDs," It basically states to listen once through till you are solid on the concepts, then listen while doing other things. When I feel burnt out on reading, or when it is impossible to study with books I use the tapes. IE On the Bike, On a walk, On the way to work.

jsol said:

I just listen to it and follow their logic and concepts etc - that's after I've already learned the material.

The only thing I can think of that was amazingly helpful was the physio lectures - I learned all the systems in 3 weeks simply by listening on the bus and while in bed - that of course required active listening where I tried really hard to follow without any actual visuals etc and I kept rewinding and listening to a track until I got it. Other than that, it's not that great if you already know everything - but it won't hurt to listen to it and have certain things reinforced...like for their orgo lecture: "Hey Jon, what happens if we mix an alochol and a carbonyl?" "Well, alcohols love to be nucleophiles, and carbonyls love being attacked, so the alcohol will act as a" and so on - things like that just stick in your head and in that respect, EK AO is pretty cool. But repeated listens is necessary if you want to gain from it. You'll notice that it follows their EK books. You have to be aware of the tracks that have errors in them though...don't learn in correct info!

Anyway, I say, since you're on your way thru a 2nd round of their books, listen to AO leisurely and try to follow along with the books using AO. I don't think taking notes is necessary unless they say something that seems helpful that wasn't mentioned in their books.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the help. Im probably gonna just listen to them in leisure. I just needed some more study material and figured id give it a shot.

jsol said:

I've been listening to EK AO in my car since February. I replay any topic that is a weak area of mine. Since June I've been taking notes and reviewing from there.