How to bide my time?

Started by GSUgrad23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GSUgrad23

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum, be gentle.

I graduate from Georgia State University with a degree in accounting in May of 2012. I have decided to return to school in order to take the required classes to apply to/attend dental school.

Long story short, I was originally pre-med in school, switched to accounting, and now having worked one year in the accounting industry, I realize I have made a mistake.

Anyway, I have come to the realization that it is too late for me to apply for the upcoming cycle (fall 2014 start date). With that said, I will be applying for the next cycle (2015) start date.


According to their website, I need one semester of physics, two semesters of "advanced chemistry with lab" (planned on taking orgo), two semesters of (any) bio with a lab.

I have already satisfied the English and general chemistry requirements.

Herein lies the question. Do you think it is worth my time to "go the distance" and complete a degree in chem? Or simply take the 6 classes I need to satisfy GHSU's dental program admission criteria? (formerly Medical College of Georgia)

Thoughts? Any GHSU (MCG) graduates/candidates with ideas?

Also, does anyone have experience with applying to dental/med school with a non science background/career history?

Any/all thoughts are appreciated.
 
How's your cGPA and sGPA? If fine, then just taking the pre-reqs (and aceing them) should be fine. Don't get a degree in a field you're not interested in, unless you never make it into medical school, and can fall back on a chemistry career (not a bad option in today's job market).

Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum, be gentle.

I graduate from Georgia State University with a degree in accounting in May of 2012. I have decided to return to school in order to take the required classes to apply to/attend dental school.

Long story short, I was originally pre-med in school, switched to accounting, and now having worked one year in the accounting industry, I realize I have made a mistake.

Anyway, I have come to the realization that it is too late for me to apply for the upcoming cycle (fall 2014 start date). With that said, I will be applying for the next cycle (2015) start date.


According to their website, I need one semester of physics, two semesters of "advanced chemistry with lab" (planned on taking orgo), two semesters of (any) bio with a lab.

I have already satisfied the English and general chemistry requirements.

Herein lies the question. Do you think it is worth my time to "go the distance" and complete a degree in chem? Or simply take the 6 classes I need to satisfy GHSU's dental program admission criteria? (formerly Medical College of Georgia)

Thoughts? Any GHSU (MCG) graduates/candidates with ideas?

Also, does anyone have experience with applying to dental/med school with a non science background/career history?

Any/all thoughts are appreciated.