1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

How to boost chances at residency programs that haven't rejected OR invited you?

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by PremedSurvivor, Dec 5, 2018.

1. PremedSurvivor

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Applying to Derm during this killer year and was really hoping I could come back home to California, or at least somewhere on the West Coast. I understand that those who match into a competitive specialty like Derm are lucky to match anywhere, but given that I will be committing the next 3-4 years to residency, it's very important for me to be close to home, with a solid support system.

Rejected from Washington University, OHSU, Stanford and UCSF, but have not heard a single thing from any other California or Arizona school. I have tried to woo them all with love letters, but they seem to be playing hard to get. Is there anything I can do to boost my chances of matching anywhere in California (i.e. send another love letter)? I went to undergrad there and now go to a top 5 school, so I'm worried that they're doubting my commitment

2. asmallchild

Staff Member Administrator Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have a mentor who can go to bat for you, this is where they can work their magic.

I would not send any more letters. I don't think it helps and it can only hurt you.