How to build a school list - high stats limited research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goobygibber

Reaction score
Stats: 3.99 GPA / 520 MCAT

I have a summer of research (300 hours, no publications), but lots of clinical experience (3090 clinical hours and still working that job)

How do I make a list that avoids me getting yield protected due to my stats considering I might not have as a good of a shot at T20s?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! How much research would you say you have? You might want to post a full WAMC.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@goobygoober

You have the most interesting usernames! :love::love::love:

IMO I would suggest applying broadly, your cycle could go either way. 520 is great but I don’t think it’s high enough that you need to worry about being yield protected

IMO I would suggest applying broadly, your cycle could go either way. 520 is great but I don’t think it’s high enough that you need to worry about being yield protected
It absolutely will get you interview slot protected. Even a 517+ can at many schools. There is a reason the top 10% at some schools is lower than a 517. Part of it becomes self fulfilling, but they don't want to waste an interview slot on someone with stats off the charts for their school.

300 hours is not going to turn any heads at the top schools but it won't get you screened out either. Take your shot. I do think you have a better chance at the top schools than you do one tier down where they will be hesitant with the expectation that you'll sign with Harvard, Yale, Colombia, Hopkins, etc.