How to check on program accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boromirmycaptain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
IM applicant here. Can anyone tell me how to check on a program's accreditation? I looked this up on the ACGME site for 2 programs I was concerned about and saw no probation, and that they were accredited for 3 years from Jan 2017. Problem is, I don't understand what that means. Is the program accredited for 3 years from Jan 2017? Is a 3 yr accreditation standard?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

IM applicant here. Can anyone tell me how to check on a program's accreditation? I looked this up on the ACGME site for 2 programs I was concerned about and saw no probation, and that they were accredited for 3 years from Jan 2017. Problem is, I don't understand what that means. Is the program accredited for 3 years from Jan 2017? Is a 3 yr accreditation standard?

Thanks.
Programs are accredited for up to 4-5 years, and the cycles are pretty random (and have been changing with the switch to the new accreditation system the last few years).

Basically, if the program isn't on probation, the information is useless.

I see. Bummer. I was concerned about these programs because of low board pass rates (below 80). I know this CAN cause a program to lose accreditation. But I didn't know if it always does.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Bummer. I was concerned about these programs because of low board pass rates (below 80). I know this CAN cause a program to lose accreditation. But I didn't know if it always does.
Are you actively trying to find irrelevant things to worry about? Because if so, you're doing a fantastic job of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry GutOnc-

I was strongly advised by a resident to check up on this and thought it was an important factor. I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Sorry GutOnc-

I was strongly advised by a resident to check up on this and thought it was an important factor. I stand corrected.
It's slightly less important than "how much does parking cost" when evaluating a program.

Sure, if they're on probation, that's a problem...and they should tell you as much during the interview, as well as what they've done to fix it.

But if they're not on probation, you're done with your homework.

It's slightly less important than "how much does parking cost" when evaluating a program.

Sure, if they're on probation, that's a problem...and they should tell you as much during the interview, as well as what they've done to fix it.

But if they're not on probation, you're done with your homework.
I believe it's not so much "they should tell you" as much as "they are required by the ACGME to tell you" during the interview.