How to choose a Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

68Whiskey

U.S. Army
Reaction score
How does one choose medical schools.I know many vary from primary care, to research. But how will I know which is right for me?

Members don't see this ad.

In no particular order:
- Comfort
- Faculty
- Ranking
- Past Match Lists
- Research Spending
Basically anything you can find on MSAR.

How does one choose medical schools.I know many vary from primary care, to research. But how will I know which is right for me?

If you're one of the 20% with more than one offer of admission, cost often becomes the deciding factor.

A common application strategy is to apply to all state schools, then use the MSAR to target private/OOS-friendly schools around the country, with the total number being whatever your wallet can handle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should get a feel where you want to be from interviews

If you're one of the 20% with more than one offer of admission, cost often becomes the deciding factor.

A common application strategy is to apply to all state schools, then use the MSAR to target private/OOS-friendly schools around the country, with the total number being whatever your wallet can handle.
Cost isn't a factor. Military will be paying.

By being accepted.

Reactions: 7 users
Are you asking about choosing between schools you've been accepted to, or to apply to?
To poohbear's list below, add:
curriculum style (TBL? PBL? Classic Flexner? A mix? Integrated?)
Time for dedicated Board prep/
Mandated lectures?
Dress code?
Research opportunities?
Student vibe?
Housing nearby?

"ranking' is far more important to pre-meds and medical school deans than it is in real life.

- Comfort
- Faculty
- Ranking
- Past Match Lists
- Research Spending

Get accepted to a school first then we can talk. Once you are you can post in the School x vs y subforum

Well my thought process it to apply widely and if I get an acceptance, then decide. No point to do extensive research into every school until you at least have an II there

I was wondering about this. What would you do if you live in a competitive state where the schools mostly prefer OOS students regardless? Or if you really want into a low yield school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about this. What would you do if you live in a competitive state where the schools mostly prefer OOS students regardless? Or if you really want into a low yield school?

you apply broadly with the knowledge that you will probably have to leave your home state.

Are you asking about choosing between schools you've been accepted to, or to apply to?
Mandated lectures?
Dress code?
Research opportunities?
Student vibe?
Housing nearby?

"ranking' is far more important to pre-meds and medical school deans than it is in real life.

- Comfort
- Faculty
- Ranking
- Past Match Lists
- Research Spending
I apologise, should had made my question more clear. I am asking mostly to choose between schools to apply to.

Visit your top choices and see what your gut feeling is. If you can't imagine yourself there for four or more years, it's probably not right for you. After a certain point, I would argue that the intangibles - your feelings, impressions, school culture, etc. - matter more than tangibles like curriculum, research, etc.

Mandated lectures?
Dress code?
Research opportunities?
Student vibe?
Housing nearby?

- Comfort
- Faculty
- Ranking
- Past Match Lists
- Research Spending
Add: job market for SO, and if kids, availability of decent nearby schools.
Safety of area.
Weather.
Grading system vs Pass/Fail.

I couldn't tell you where 99% of my partners went to medical school. I know about <20% of their residencies and about 50% of their fellowship location. And I'm in Ortho, private practice.

Thus, medical school ranking and rank lists are utterly unimportant in real life. Debt trumps all once you are in the real world.

Add: job market for SO, and if kids, availability of decent nearby schools.
Safety of area.
Weather.
Grading system vs Pass/Fail.
While normally I'd group weather with location, weather has to be considered! For example, going to Mayo-MN, Winter makes a very serious attempt to kill you from Dec to March.

With Mayo-AZ, it's Summer that tries to kill you from May to Sept.

But it's a dry heat! you say?

Sure, but so's an oven.

Reactions: 1 users
I couldn't tell you where 99% of my partners went to medical school. I know about <20% of their residencies and about 50% of their fellowship location. And I'm in Ortho, private practice.

Thus, medical school ranking and rank lists are utterly unimportant in real life. Debt trumps all once you are in the real world.
He's using GI Bill.

Apply to the ones that resemble your stats. See if you get into one. If you do, that’s your new home. If you get into more than one, consider location, debt, and overall happiness.

While normally I'd group weather with location, weather has to be considered! For example, going to Mayo-MN, Winter makes a very serious attempt to kill you from Dec to March.

With Mayo-AZ, it's Summer that tries to kill you from May to Sept.

But it's a dry heat! you say?

Sure, but so's an oven.
I don't mind the dry heat so much. I can't stand humid heat. Its the main reason I don't know how much longer I can stay in Louisiana. It gets up to 102-103, and I feel like im DYING.

In Iraq it got up to 143 in the sun, and was 112 in the shade. However, the shade actually felt cool.

Whatever school accepts you.