How to choose between CCOM and PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SenseiDoc19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I know that this topic has been hit upon several times but I haven’t seen this thread since several years ago and both CCOM and PCOM have made quite a few adjustments. With the new application year, reputations change and new opinions are formed. This is not meant to be a thread that bashes apart the other school, but an inquiry on two programs that I have researched heavily and at the moment love equally. I have also received acceptances to both so this is now a very real choice I have to make.
My primary factors for a school are in order of what is important to me:
1. Residency placement as well as specific programs associated with the school
2 Where students do their rotations in 3-4 years
3. Location (I want to practice near a city and have an opportunity to see a variety of cases)
4. Price
5. Curriculum prep for the COMLEX/USMLE
6. Campus
7. Class size (smaller classes better for individual assessment and cadaver time in anatomy)
8. Prestige

I know that I have no clue what I want to get into yet(I love IM, Peds and EM), however, I want to be reassured that if I decide to specialize (pref: Orthopedic Surg, Gen Surg, Anesthesiology, EM) I will have ample opportunity to do so at the institution I choose. I am also a philly resident so I am familiar with the hospitals around here but not in Chicago. I have heard many great things about all the Chicago hospitals that CCOM roatates through and where their students find Residencies.
If Current pre meds, students and grads could provide some insight into which program is better in each of these categories and could give a little description of why you chose the way you did.

My assessment thus far would be
1. PCOM > CCOM
(Slightly better they have 38% (62% specialize) that go into primary care and have residency programs affiliated with all major surgery specialties.) CCOM I know has great ones too just not familiar if someone could fill me in.
2. CCOM >PCOM
I have heard that CCOM rotations are best due to most of them being done with other Allopathic medical schools and most of them are in the city.
3. CCOM > PCOM
( even though I have been from Philly my whole life, I like Chicago way more, + my girlfriend likes it a lot more too. COLD is not a factor for me!
4. PCOM>CCOM (the amount I would save took this one from 5 to 4)
I did out the math and with CCOM at 44 grand and PCOM at 38 + the fact that I have family around here to help save on living I would save close to 40,000 over 4 years.
5. Tie
CCOM and PCOM both have good trimester curriculums but I have heard that CCOM is a bit more demanding in terms of testing and they have above average scores on the COMLEX compared to other DO schools. Couldn’t find data for PCOM
6. CCOM slight edge over PCOM
I like the campus atmosphere at CCOM, they have a lot of space and nice buildings. PCOM has only two buildings not much of a campus feel but they are both very nice facilities with some significant new technology.
7. CCOM
180-200 compared to 260+! I feel like I would get lost in the PCOM class and I want to make sure I get plenty of time to dissect the cadaver

8. PCOM
I have heard great things bout PCOM and most people seem to agree that it is always in the top 5 Osteopathic schools and better than many Allopathic schools as well. CCOM is as well and I know that financially both are pretty stable (CCOM is building a dental school and PCOM has the new athletic facility and are always advertising in local news papers.

As a note 6,7 and 8 were all very close in terms of importance. If you guys out there could correct any of this information or add some insight I would greatly appreciate it! This is such a tough choice and I am so torn.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

MSUSpartan642

GO GREEN!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a very difficult decision to have to make, but your lucky to have your pick. Im not even sure which one I would pick. What were your stats? How were the interviews at both places (Laid back, intense, etc.) Sorry I have no input on the two.

SenseiDoc19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a very difficult decision to have to make, but your lucky to have your pick. Im not even sure which one I would pick. What were your stats? How were the interviews at both places (Laid back, intense, etc.) Sorry I have no input on the two.

28P AACOMAS cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.6 econ major (post bacc program at penn state for 1 year was a 4.0) bad first two years of college!

Off the bat CCOM madfe a better impression. PCOM has a great rep but they didnt do a good job of showing it to the studnets on invterview day. Didnt give any stats or show where studnets do roations. I thogh both interviews were great. Very friendly and took time to make sure that they touched on the imprtant points into why medicine, why DO, and why a good fit for our school.

Members don't see this ad :)

JaggerPlate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a nice problem to have. I'd personally base it on fit, price, and location. The reason why is because they are both great schools that carry a big name, you aren't going to have to worry about 3/4th year rotations at either one, and you're going to get a great education and lots of opportunities either way.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I know that this topic has been hit upon several times but I haven't seen this thread since several years ago and both CCOM and PCOM have made quite a few adjustments. With the new application year, reputations change and new opinions are formed. This is not meant to be a thread that bashes apart the other school, but an inquiry on two programs that I have researched heavily and at the moment love equally. I have also received acceptances to both so this is now a very real choice I have to make.
My primary factors for a school are in order of what is important to me:
3. Location (I want to practice near a city and have an opportunity to see a variety of cases)
4. Price
6. Campus
7. Class size (smaller classes better for individual assessment and cadaver time in anatomy)
8. Prestige

Warning: I go to PCOM

I can't compare us to CCOM; I did not attend my CCOM interview last year. I'll give you some information for each number above. I'm only a first year, so my effort will be warm-hearted, but may not be as thoughtful as a fourth year.

1) PCOM has several residencies it sponsors through consortiums. These include residencies like internal medicine, opthamology, general surgery, and orthopedics (http://www.pcom.edu/Graduate_Medical_Education/Residency_Programs/Residency_Programs.html). With a consortium, you get to rotate through different area hospitals and see different cases. As you said, most of our students specialize.

2) There is a huge rotation network for third and fourth years. Locations in PA are utilized but most rotations are in the Greater Philadelphia area. There are some rotations, like rural medicine, that could take you as far north as Sullivan County for a month. Despite the possible small moves, don't underestimate or writeoff the rotation schedule. There is a lot of elective time third and fourth year which is pivotal for auditioning at residencies you're interested in. The amount of free elective time is something unique here.

3) I love being in the suburbs of Philly. I went to school in the western part of the city and cannot be happier to move out here to City Ave. Manayunk is an 8 buck cab ride away, the city isn't much farther. Everything you need is along City Ave so you don't need to go into the actual city. Through these four years, you will be thankful your family is nearby. My parents live in the Poconos, further than your family, but I can still get to them if I need them.

4) We're cheaper.

5) There is a prep course offered for the boards. Its from an outside company. Not really too huge of a factor since a lot of medical students take an outside course or self study. Not necessarily a bad thing you're not trained for the boards but rather trained as a physician.

6) There are three main buildings on campus, not 2. Despite the smaller size of the campus, most schools keep you in one building anyway. There is the academic building (Evans), the gym (Recreational Center), and the clinical offices (Rowland). There are places to sit outside away from the buildings, a parking garage, and easy access to major highways and transportation.

7) Our large class size is good in my opinion. There are more people to help you. I don't feel ignored by teachers or my peers. Each cadaver gets 5 to 6 people to a table. There are enough cadavers for the class size.

8) Prestige is well known. We might not be flashy at interviews, but prestige speaks for itself. You will not have to explain yourself as a PCOM graduate. Dr. Schure often speaks about how we far exceed our colleagues in the area in terms of preparation, etc. (This is probably a lot of gloating)

bigyihoroi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
28P AACOMAS cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.6 econ major (post bacc program at penn state for 1 year was a 4.0) bad first two years of college!

Off the bat CCOM madfe a better impression. PCOM has a great rep but they didnt do a good job of showing it to the studnets on invterview day. Didnt give any stats or show where studnets do roations. I thogh both interviews were great. Very friendly and took time to make sure that they touched on the imprtant points into why medicine, why DO, and why a good fit for our school.

Did you guys even ask the admissions staff about stats and rotation sites of PCOM students? If none of you guys asked, they are just gonna assume that you guys are not concerned about it. Last year, my group of interviewees asked the admission staff for all these information. They didn't hestitate to tell us.

I think both CCOM and PCOM are great schools. You still have time to decide before the big fat deposit is due.

Reaction score
1. Irrelevant - prior match lists only show what the class was interested in; not how well they matched. In your example, 62% specialized, but what happens they all got their 10th choice, while the other school with 32% spcialized got their #1 choice.
2. Very important; from what I read, it seems PCOM has more sites outside the general vicinity of Philly.
3. Both near major cities; doesn't matter
4. Both nearly the same price (not sure about cost of living in Philly, but take that into account...go with the cheaper school!)
5. All schools are the same.
6. Irrelevant. You're stuck in the classroom 99% of the time.
7. Probably doesn't matter too much...labs are usually split up with 4-5 people/cadaver at most schools.
8. Irrelevant.

cliquesh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd just go to PCOM since it's like 10k cheaper, correct? Both are fine, however.

Micah6:8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, it comes down to where you want to live for the next four years. If you have lived in Philly and want to live near or in Chicago, then go to CCOM. Other than that, of these two schools, both have great reputations.
PCOM is probably better known on the East coast and CCOM in the midwest. They both look good to allopathic programs as well.
I go to CCOM, am a third year and I love it, but I also think I would have gotten an excellent education at PCOM. I chose CCOM over PCOM because I already lived close by and I knew CCOM was an excellent school.
We have really good faculty and lots of great teaching rotation sites.
As for cost, both schools are expensive and in the big picture, one is not that much cheaper.
So, good luck and chose whichever one is right for you. You really can't go wrong with either.

SenseiDoc19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys even ask the admissions staff about stats and rotation sites of PCOM students? If none of you guys asked, they are just gonna assume that you guys are not concerned about it. Last year, my group of interviewees asked the admission staff for all these information. They didn't hestitate to tell us.

I think both CCOM and PCOM are great schools. You still have time to decide before the big fat deposit is due.

At PCOM It was the first day of interviews and i think that they were getting the new computers set up. At CCOM and every other school I attended an interview at had folders with stats, rotations, class schedule, financial aid ect. I know smoke and mirrors but it is nice to not have to ask all those things plus I had other questions for them ( i kinda blacked out about the whole day because i did 4 interviews in 4 days and everything meshed together haha.
I did ask about roation sites. I also didnt want to seem like I was just soly interested in the pure numbers of the school. I wanted it to be more about the people and surroundings. I kinda already understood the repuations of both.

SenseiDoc19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Warning: I go to PCOM

(This is probably a lot of gloating)

Thanks Bacchus.
Not at all, its nice to get the positives from a current student. It clears up a few things for sure. Now if i can just get a current CCOM student to do the same thing i can get one step closer to making my decision. :confused:

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bacchus.
Not at all, its nice to get the positives from a current student. It clears up a few things for sure. Now if i can just get a current CCOM student to do the same thing i can get one step closer to making my decision. :confused:
I meant Dr. Schure was gloating :p. I don't gloat about PCOM :laugh:. Best of luck, you'll do well at either school.

Looking at cost, I think a fair amount of us got small scholarships this year from PCOM. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4000 dollars. I don't know if it renews itself though.

Another thing I liked was having to only submit a $250 deposit. It allows you to interview at other schools later in the season and not feel bad about losing 1, 1.5, or 2,000 dollars. The $2000 deposit isn't due until sometime in April.

Members don't see this ad :)

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bacchus.

I think I know who you are...you were in my interview group! I am the guy with the masters from philly. I decided to go to PCOM and sent in my deposit. I am not sure which school I would pick had I applied to CCOM....but I am pretty happy with my choice. Either way...I hope to see you in the fall!

rc4ch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I meant Dr. Schure was gloating :p. I don't gloat about PCOM :laugh:. Best of luck, you'll do well at either school.

Looking at cost, I think a fair amount of us got small scholarships this year from PCOM. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4000 dollars. I don't know if it renews itself though.

Another thing I liked was having to only submit a $250 deposit. It allows you to interview at other schools later in the season and not feel bad about losing 1, 1.5, or 2,000 dollars. The $2000 deposit isn't due until sometime in April.

Nice write up buddy. PCOM is def a great school and I am glad I go here. Their interviews is def not as showy as other schools, but they don't need to sell themselves.

The faculty is great. Very helpful and generous in lab and for the classes.

SenseiDoc19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I know who you are...you were in my interview group! I am the guy with the masters from philly. I decided to go to PCOM and sent in my deposit. I am not sure which school I would pick had I applied to CCOM....but I am pretty happy with my choice. Either way...I hope to see you in the fall!

Oh yea i remember you. you were also looking at UNECOM weren't you? Im seeing this decision come down to the wire :bang:

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I WAS looking at UNECOM...got an interview there but decided to cancel it. My girlfriend and I live together and she is planning on going back to get her MBA in a year or two.....Here we have Penn, Villanova, Drexel,Temple, etc....Portland ME...University of NE...thats about it. Much better MBA programs down here in Philly....that was my main deciding factor to go with PCOM. Plus I have a few friends who applied to UNECOM...have yet to get an interview invite from them, so as an act of kindness I pulled the plug so hopefully one of them could get an interview invite.

(The fact that ive wanted to go to PCOM since i was a little kid helped my decision too ;))

Micah6:8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bacchus.

I did reply for CCOM. Sorry I did not give you a specific breakdown, so here it goes:

Very good Match lists, students are accepted at osteopathic AND allopathic programs. CCOM has several residency programs of its own including ER, OB/gyn, surgery and Ortho.

We have a large list of rotations sites. Our core rotations are usually in the greater Chicago area. We work with MD students as well. Electives can be done wherever you wish.
You will definitely have this chance. Our rotations are in the city as well as suburbs. Lots of variety of pathology.
4. Price
Yes, expensive, but really, what osteopathic school isn't, with few exceptions.
A faculty run prep week by some of the faculty who actually write the questions for the COMLEX. The entire curriculum though in the first two years really prepares you. The basic science faculty are great.
6. Campus
Nice, lots of trees, well landscaped. New additions being built.
200 for the current class (just expanded) but only 6 or 7 per cadaver and only 4 or 5 on a given day. Anatomy faculty is outstanding. You will have plenty of time and space with your cadaver.

8. Prestige
One of the oldest schools, well known, well respected. Home of the next AOA President, and first female AOA president.

Good luck.

Dissected

All bleeding stops eventually
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
4. PCOM>CCOM (the amount I would save took this one from 5 to 4)
I did out the math and with CCOM at 44 grand and PCOM at 38 + the fact that I have family around here to help save on living I would save close to 40,000 over 4 years.

this one

AMEHigh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to PCOM and I love it. I don't think you'd be wrong with either school. I think I would have the same thing as most the other PCOM students have to say, but I thought I'd chime in.

As far as getting lost with such a large class, I don't feel that way at all! Sure there are plenty of people that I still don't know their name, but people ask questions in class, there are only 4 other people dissecting with me and the faculty is available at any time. You can get lost if you want and not participate, but that's your choice. The large class size hasn't made me feel lost at all (I went to a small undergrad, so big classes are a new thing to me)

Also, a lot of things are broken down into small groups. In anatomy lab, each faculty member has a few tables to answer questions for, so there is always someone you can talk with. In OMM we are in groups of 10 (I think) and we all have a fellow/doctor with us for everything. In primary skills lab, we are in groups of 4 as we learn each new procedure. So I think they do a good job of making sure that no one gets lost.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask. Good luck!