Dental How to choose which dental schools to apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m planning on applying this upcoming cycle in june, however I’m not really sure what schools I should be looking at. I have a 3.78 overall gpa and 3.72 science gpa, and a 20 AA Dat score. I have over 100 hrs of dental shadowing, 300 hrs of EMT volunteering, and I’ve worked as a pharmacy tech for a hospital for 2 yrs.

To increase my chances at getting an interview, what schools offer me the best chance. Like for instance, how do I know which ones have bias towards a certain niche of applicants? Or do things like class size matter? Also is DMD better than a DDS program? Does acceptance rate matter? Please let me know how I should be approaching school searching, im really trying not to screw this up

I appreciate any advice, thank you
First and foremost, apply to your state schools - they'll likely be your best shot, and also be the cheapest (even if they're private - you could maybe live at home for example and possibly save on rent). Next, I'd look at schools whose averages match yours. You can refer to the doc in this post (Dental School Statistics) to find those schools. Next, I'd look at the OOS acceptance rate for the public schools (any school that has a difference in resident vs. non-resident tuition in the last columns of that doc). If it's not very high (greater than 60-70%), I'd take that school off. They're likely not OOS friendly and it may be hard for you to be accepted. Next, I'd look at location - do you have an SO? Are you okay with living far away from home? How far? What kind of weather would make you miserable? etc. Think about those sorts of things when picking schools, but keep this in mind - it's only four years, and you will be surprised how quickly those four years pass by. Time absolutely flies. Lastly, cost is another thing to think about, but because you DAT is on the average side (the average for matriculating applicants is about a 20.7), you may not be able to afford to be too picky with the costs of schools.

To answer your other questions, I believe Meharry and Howard are the two schools that are well known to be more welcoming towards minorities, but the others are indifferent. Class size could be another thing to keep in mind, but at the end of the day, dental school is what you make of it and how much work and effort you put in. DDS and DMD are the same thing and people with either degree do the exact same thing. There is no difference between the degrees (I think DMD was made because the Ivys wanted to be fancy? Not sure... but it doesn't matter anyway). Acceptance rate matters as I discussed earlier in how OOS friendly they are.

After all of this, I'd look at having about 13-15 schools to apply to. Hope that helps! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you need to read the entire front matter of the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. Your questions show you have not made any attempt to talk seriously with prehealth advisors, predental peers, or admissions recruiters because these questions are definitely meant for them and are fundamental to a strategy for applying. Increasing your chances at interview means being appropriate proactive and strategic with networking so that you go into the process confident about your chances. Start with the ADEA GoDental website and read through it thoroughly.

So as noted, we don't know what your state residency is. Usually if there is a public dental school at your home state, you have an intentional advantage in the application process and in paying for your education. You should look at how each dental school teaches lectures, preclinicals, and clinicals. You should talk to people in dental school who attended your undergraduate school. There's a lot you have to do in a very short time if you intend to put in an application this year, but as it stands you sound like you are going into the process very inefficiently.

And we haven't even touched costs of attendance and financial aid.

You're very correct. I've been avoiding seeing my advisor on purpose, I saw her once and she took one look at my GPA and told me "you'll never be a dentist" im not even kidding. I figured instead of talking to someone who will fuel me with self doubt, let me hit up the successful people in the forums (aka you) and learn from your experience. To answer your other questions, I'm in new jersey, so the only school in my state is Rutgers. Thank you for your advice, I will work really hard on my networking and research skills
There are many admissions recruiters and prehealth advisors who are realistic in their advice but generally supportive. Reaching out should be no problem but be receptive about what to do. It's not easy (hence the guide to reinvention) but if you find good mentors and champions for you, you can present a compelling application.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.