How to combine multiple loan servicers into one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this situation is not unfamiliar to most of you.

I have my government loans split between GreatLakes and MyEdAccount (the government).
Today I learned my MyEdAccount loans are moved to NelNet.

Why didn't they move it into GreatLakes? I'm not too excited about NelNet either.

Who should I contact to get all of my government loans with just a single servicer?

Members don't see this ad.

NelNet, like MyEdAccount and FedLoan are all servicers contracted by the government to service direct loans. GreatLakes isn't (as far as I know), so your loans wouldn't have been transferred to them. It seems a little weird that your loans were transferred from one government servicer to another--normally loans get transferred from a private company to the government (that was the case with me)

Either way, you can consolidate all your loans to one servicer, but I wouldn't do that until the loans enter repayment. You may have to consolidate all your loans to NelNet though (technically you're consolidating all your federal loans to the Dept of Ed, but since NelNet is servicing those loans on the gov't behalf, they'd probably be your servicer for the consolidated loan).