How to complete PhD in 2 years during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asaren

Reaction score
Has anyone done it? Or you know anyone has got PhD in 2 years during residency elective years? And how did they do? Especially in Neuro or Gen surgery.

I know many has done it in 3 years by extending another year in research.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

A PhD should take at least 3 years of dedicated lab work, and often more. Two years is too little. If that's your goal I would question your motive for the degree. Just getting additional letters behind the name is not a goal. Getting serious research training so you can be an investigator is a good goal, and that takes time.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with @Neuronix . A PhD is conferred as a sign that you have truly become an expert within your field, and that level of expertise requires protected time. Obtaining a PhD was an option within my fellowship program, but all of the fellows who went that route spent at least 4 years getting the PhD. So I can't imagine this is something that's feasible in 2 years.

This is not to say that you can't do good work in 2 years' time, or that you can't eventually go on and run your own lab without the PhD. But if you want the recognition that comes with a PhD it will take time up front.

Reactions: 1 users